question

georbro3 avatar image
georbro3 asked

How to configure MPPT controllers in the VRM?

I purchased 6 MPPT controllers, all but one are simple BlueSolar models, in an effort to obtain remote monitoring and control over the internet. I was monitoring my old system somewhat clumsily by using controller displays and a high definition wifi camera. Some of the videos and manufacturer documentation I saw/read led me to believe it would be a piece of cake to get internet access with the new Cerbo GX. I am asking because I wound up having to direct connect to each controller in order to update and configure them because I could not get any devices to show up in the local area of Victron Connect, with the exception of the Cerbo GX and the one SmartSolar MPPT I purchased. Without Bluetooth pairing, I am unable to configure through either the wifi access point, with units VE direct connected to the Cerbo, or through the VRM. I am able to monitor the units using the remote console feature and I am able to configure/move the widgets for the graphics functions in the advanced tab. Is there no ability to configure devices in the VRM directly? My system is not too complicated, but it does have three separate battery banks, all with different voltages and battery types, and my intention is to use multiple charge controllers on each battery bank. I am doing this with one of the battery banks, but I cannot differentiate between them on the dashboard. It looks like I may have to purchase more GX devices and add separate installations for each one to do this cleanly? Having them all together with the same names, with numeric instances on the VRM (xxx) , is difficult to keep track of, especially when those identifiers are not visible in the remote console list. Can I rename them in order to keep them separated? Or is there a way to implement a different template on the dashboard? Sorry for my ignorance of Victron Energy products, but your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, George

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Use the VRM tab in VictronConnect (this only works via Internet and you have to add your VRM account in VictronConnect). Click on your Cerbo. Then you should see all your solar chargers connected to the Cerbo and you will be able to change their settings.

Not related:

You should add a SmartShunt to your system.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

georbro3 avatar image georbro3 commented ·
Thanks for the tips. So far, I have not figured out how to make configurations through that method, and that is exactly how I am accessing the Cerbo connected devices on VRM through Victron Connect. I can see them in Remote Console and view their data in real time, but cannot make changes there. I must be missing something? I wonder if it has anything to do with my router being a cellular one? George
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 georbro3 commented ·

Remote Console is something else.

Are you using VictronConnect from a PC?

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @georbro3

It's possible to access settings in all VE.Direct connected devices (your mppts) using VictronConnect. But put aside the bluetooth and the Cerbo wifi access point, and use either wifi or ethernet to the networked LAN (ie. your access point/router). Have the net up too, as VC 'calls home' for it's full functionality. I prefer a Win10 machine to do this, as I can leave everything Victron up-and-running on a browser tab. VC is an app rather than a browser thing, but it works similarly.

In general terms, each battery bank requires it's own GX and VRM account. Other stuff can be added in, but it will be treated as a a part of one battery bank and the calcs won't make sense.

The layout of VRM is largely a no-go zone, but renaming is usually possible. I'd have to go look that up, but someone else might be able to cite exactly how.

I really recommend you get familiar with the manuals on all the kit and software you're using, all available from the website. Sure you've been tripped up by the multiple options, but you'll get there..

3 comments
2 |3000

Thank you JohnC, you have been a tremendous help. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge. I have a formal education in electronics that dates back to 1969 and have 50+ years field experience in the Energy sector with remote flow computer installations that often required solar power and low powered communication equipment. Since my retirement I have been enjoying implementing my very own off grid system at my wildlife cabin in the woods that has no grid connected electrical power at all. I can certainly say the technology has come a very long way over the years. Higher efficiency Solar panels, MPPT charge controllers and LifePO4 batteries are exceptional improvements.

I have read all the manuals almost cover to cover, but until you get familiar with the interfaces it does not always help a lot. I can say I have learned ten-fold about the Victron Connect app and the VRM in the first three days. I am very impressed with the Victron MPPT Charger performance as well.

I will take my Surface Pro Windows 10 Pro machine out to the cabin and try it with Victron Connect, I already tried it through the router wifi with my Android phone and could see no devices, except for the Cerbo. Do you think it would work if I connected the PC to the Cerbo with a USB cable? If I need a wired Cat5 Lan connection for my PC I would have to get an adapter cable...

You have confirmed my need for additional GX devices and creating separate installations for each battery bank. That will make the Dashboard much more useful. Renaming will be less of an issue as well, but I would eventually like to learn how to do that too.

I am taking my time and not getting in a hurry, just one step at a time... Fewer errors that way.

Thanks, George

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ georbro3 commented ·

@georbro3

Just wifi your Win10 into the router. VC will open by default on 'Local' and show only the Cerbo, but if you select 'VRM' you'll get a screen showing your individual VRM accounts. Select the one you want, the individual devices will appear, and you can then access them directly.

You can open multiple instances of VC at the same time if (say) you want to use Trends for the per-second logging. Click on Settings to make changes.

One warning.. the scaling on Win is clunky and you may need to scale in Win itself to even fit it on your screen. This stuff is still in development, hey.. wasn't so long ago that this was all in beta.

The VC manual is worth a look.. https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VictronConnect_Manual/en/index-en.html

Great you have time to research this. As you learn your future plans will change.. betcha.. :)

I agree too with Seb71 that a SmartShunt would be a great addition.

And oh, you must be nearly as old as me.. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
georbro3 avatar image georbro3 JohnC ♦ commented ·
I finally figured out the manual you meant I should read more carefully was the GX manual, and sure enough I found the settings menus that allow me to configure everything remotely. I even figured out how to rename the devices by system so that they make more sense. Now I just need to get more GX devices so I can separate the systems. I wonder if I will lose all the configuration data when I delete them from the existing installation? Also I would be interested to know why you folks are recommending the Smart Shunt instead of a BMV? getting there.... George
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Smart Shunt instead of a BMV

SmartShunt is cheaper.

And when you have a GX device, unless it's a system installed on a boat or RV (where a dedicated display for the shunt - so a BMV - might make sense), for a house system the dedicated display that BMV has is more or less redundant. You can see all that data (and much more) via the GX device.

Note:
For certain batteries (batteries with a BMS which can communicate with the GX device), you don't need a SmartShunt/BMV.

1 comment
2 |3000

Makes sense to me, thanks for the clarification. I am getting used to watching the data on my PC from home, so local displays are probably not needed since I can do the same thing from a smartphone. George
0 Likes 0 ·
georbro3 avatar image
georbro3 answered ·

You folks that suggested adding smart shunts to a VRM monitored installation were right on the money about its value. This is the best tool you can have in an off grid solar/battery/inverter setup. They have really helped me tweak my system sizing to the point where my efficiency on a bright sunny day runs the Air Conditioner with little or no battery discharge, and when I shut it down to leave it is recharged in a matter of minutes. I really appreciate all your advice, it put me way ahead of the game by listening to your answers and carefully reading the manual... My next move is to replace the non-Victron inverter with a Victron 48v Phoenix Smart 230 vac coupled with an autotransformer. It seems to be the most sensible choice where grid power is not available and AC charging is not available... Cheers! George

2 |3000