question

lucode avatar image
lucode asked

Weather forecast controlled Minimum SoC setpoint, using Node-red & Home Assistant

Since a while I wanted to have my Minimum SoC setpoint controlled by weather (solar yield) forecast and others parameters. So in the end to get a dynamic SOC control.
After digging into the matter I have a solution that might be interesting for others too.
1634569048209-image.pngMy solution might be an overkill for many users, but it has some really nice feature as it allows to charge the battery with cheap grid power at night.
All the details you can find in the Github repo:
https://github.com/lucode/home-assistant/blob/main/docs/victron-pv-soc-control.md

Node-REDhome assistant
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mark Maritz avatar image Mark Maritz commented ·
Is there a chance that you could add the Node Red flow to your Github- ie the actual flow code file (export)?
0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
gimx avatar image
gimx answered ·

Thanks for sharing. This allowed integrating my Victron installation in a freshly setup homeassistant in under 15 minutes.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

thomasw-1 avatar image
thomasw-1 answered ·

@lucode
I have discovered that you used forecast.solar for your prediction.
Personally I got the opinion that for my purpose it is not reliable. In the graph below the I display a continues rolling 24h forecast. The blue line represents solar.forecast and the green line another service. The manually added red lines show the effectively produced power that was generated the next day.
Forecast.solar is from my point of view

• far less reactive in prediction changes and
  • partially far off the actual result

1642719197372.png

How does it work for you?

1642719197372.png (140.9 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

frederikbove avatar image frederikbove commented ·
What is the other service dat you are using?
0 Likes 0 ·
andreas-siebenmorgen avatar image andreas-siebenmorgen frederikbove commented ·
Me too :-)
0 Likes 0 ·
mattsmith avatar image
mattsmith answered ·

That's really nice..! I've done similar, turning hotwater and aircons and in the future blinds based on the solar forecast as well as environment readings. :-) 1646212986012.png

1646212986012.png (108.8 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

larsea-dk avatar image larsea-dk commented ·

If using the proposed solar forecast by Victron.

https://community.victronenergy.com/articles/172211/node-red-fetch-forecasted-solar-yield.html

How do I get out the total kWh expected for today(in beginning of the day?). I need to know how much power is expected today to control have agressive my solar chargers can be related to charging the battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
polosaz avatar image
polosaz answered ·

Great job! @lucode Would you mind explaining the calculation logic and flow of the estimated SOC according to the production estimate? I would like to do something similar with home assistant automations directly. I do not control nodered to adapt your flow to my needs.

2 |3000