question

lgvholdings avatar image
lgvholdings asked

Red power wire location

I have 2 6v batteries in series. I am installing the BMV 712 monitor shunt on the negative directly after the battery then on to the trailer. My question is, can the red power wire for the monitor go to the positive of the same battery, or should I go to the first battery in the series?

SmartShuntinstallation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@lgvholdings

You want the shunt to measure the whole battery bank it is connected to. So connect to the other one on positive.

Most negative and most positive connctions.....

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lgvholdings avatar image lgvholdings commented ·
Thank you for your reply,

I believe the red 12volt power wire is to simply power the monitor. I dont think it has anything to do with the bank measurement. I'm just wondering if the is power at the positive terminal of the second battery in series?

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Might be a problem here. If anything is connected/grounded through the trailer chassis, you'll bypass the shunt through the trailer mechanical connection.

Not clear what you mean by power wire. The shunt has two red wires supplied. One goes to 12V positive, like Alexandra said. The other goes to either the connection between the batteries for mid point voltage monitoring, or to the starter battery for starter battery monitoring. Your choice, but must be configured in the BMV.

Which red wire is which? The 12V positive goes into the connector nearer the battery side of the shunt, but confirm with your manual if not clear.

2 comments
2 |3000

lgvholdings avatar image lgvholdings commented ·

Thanks for your reply,

I dont have a starting battery, so I'm only using one red wire to go to the 12v power. My question is simply what 12v positive terminal do I go to? Or does it matter? As I have 2 positive terminals because I have 2 - 6volt batteries in series.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ lgvholdings commented ·
They're in series. So one is at 6V, connected to the neg of the next on. Second is at 6V plus 6V, so 12V.

I.e. connect to the ends of the string, not the middle

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources