question

seank avatar image
seank asked

Multiplus II AC spring terminals

I'm installing a new Multiplus II (12|3000|120-50) in our RV and unlike the regular Multiplus we have on our boat it has these spring loaded AC terminal blocks (no screws).

I'm finding them tedious to work with and wishing this thing had screw terminals like the old model. I'm using Ancor 6 AWG marine wire and I really have to hold my mouth right to get the connection made well with the soft finely stranded wire (and you can't really tell how well it's made, all you can tell is if it's captured). I get the wire started in the hole and then slip a small screwdriver into the release hole to ease the tension and then slip the wire the rest of the way.

There's no documentation in the instructions regarding these terminals. I have determined that about 7/8" seems to be an appropriate strip length.

I'm thinking these terminals are perhaps more appropriate for stranded THHN or something with a heavier lay than the marine wire. I'm wondering if a bootlace ferrule could or should be used with marine wire in these terminals?

Does anybody know the manufacturer of these terminals or can point me to any documentation about correct use of these terminals and what wire might actually be specified for them?

Any help or tips with using these terminals (correctly) would be much appreciated, I'm way more comfortable with screw terminals.

Thanks!

Multiplus-IIterminals
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

Use boot lace ferrules on the cables as this is required in most cases in wiring.

https://nz.rs-online.com/web/p/bootlace-ferrules/3117870

Regards

Rob D

NZ

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seank avatar image seank commented ·

Thanks Rob. I tested this with a square crimp ferrule and it seems to work well.

I identified the terminal used in the MP II as a Degson DG271R-10.0:

https://www.degson.com/content/details_552_879549.html?lang=en

The specified strip length for this connector in the docs is 17-18mm. (which coincidentally is pretty much the exact length of the 6 AWG ferrules I have). Once I used the specified strip length the connections make well both with and without ferrules, but I think they are better with a square crimped ferrule.

Thanks!

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic