question

scraggs avatar image
scraggs asked

Off grid battery bank DC cable sizing for multiplus 2 48/8000

Hi all
So my battery pack for my off grid setup (930amp 48v wet cell, made up of 24 x 2v) is due at the suppliers in the next few days and they will be making up the link cables.
I know the multiplus 2 48v/8000 is recommended and setup for 2 x 50mm2 for both positive and negative, however the battery supplier has said they normally supply packs with single 50mm2 link cables and the maximum link cables they can make up is 70mm2, they have also said due to the air tight sealing when the cables are attached they would not recommend doubling up the cables.
That leaves me with the issue of I will need to double up or beef up the main feed cable to the battery, but would the link cables between the cells be up to the job ?
Any help greatly appreciated.

wiring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

your 8kW inverter would have a max input current of 167A, double this on peak. 70mm^2 cable has typical rating of ~200A. This will be ok for the battery link cables, and for very short run from the battery to busbar. for a run of up to 3m from the battery bus to the inverter I would specify either 2 x 50 or 2 x 70mm^2 cables. This would depend on how much of your peak load capacity you expect to use.,

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

scraggs avatar image scraggs commented ·
Thanks for the reply

The plan is to run it about 50cm out of the battery box to a Lynx, where it will be split to 2x 50mm2.
I have seen the rating on the 70mm2 they are using and it's rated at 485amp which seems high for 70mm2 but I thought it would be ok over such a short run.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic