question

intidos avatar image
intidos asked

Resetting a multiplus completely to factory defaults

I bought a secondhand Multiplus 24/1200 some months ago off ebay and had it shipped out to Spain. It has been working fine on PV, however I now want to run it linked to a genset to charge the batteries. Unbeknown to me, the Multiplus was previously set to UK grid in the grid options by the previous user so I cannot reset it to None for genset using VEConfigure without the installer password which I do not have.

The original distributor is a UK company that sells to other UK companies - I am neither a company nor UK based, so I don't expect any help from them (although I have submitted a support request).

What are my options for doing a complete factory reset to the default of None in the grid settings? I have already tried flashing the latest firmware with VEFlash (I have a MK2), but that did not change the grid setting back to None.

I would rather not ditch this used Victron device just because I cannot make it work as intended as a secondhand buyer.

On another note, why cannot understand why a password is need to reset to factory defaults if a grid option has been selected - that defeats the purpose of a factory reset option!

multiplus ve.bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@intidos

The grid code is there for ess purposes mostly to meet regulations in certain countries. So obviously you dont want anyone just messing with it after it has been installed.

Spain has a grid code. And of you are grid tied you should have that selected. I dont see why the sellers or origional dealer would not be able to sort that out over the vrm for you. Or your local dealer. You can find your nearest here.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

There are many threads on this forum about this very question and the reasons why it is done.

See answer here.

See guy's answer here.

0 Likes 0 ·
intidos avatar image intidos Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Actually, both of those answers you mention, the password was given to the end users to make the change themselves - so it only reinforces the fact that it is an unnecessary impediment to owners of the devices that need to reconfigure them without a support arrangement in place with an installer/distributor.

I can see some merit in having a password when changing the device to be grid tied, but I cannot see any reason for it when trying to switch it back to offgrid defaults, which is my scenario, and renders a secondhand device potentially unfit for purpose at a time where we are trying to reuse technology not throw it on the scrap heap.

0 Likes 0 ·
intidos avatar image intidos Alexandra ♦ commented ·
I should also make it clear that this is a very off grid installation, in a cabin up a mountain, where there is no mains grid supply, no internet, no paved road - so getting a technician there is pretty much out of the question, as are any internet/vrm links, hence the reason I am so disappointed that the unit cannot be placed in a state when I can set the values myself.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ intidos commented ·
The posts are clear it is not an attempt to make end user life difficult by Victron but rather a law requirement. And it is nothing personal.

I do see your situation. There are some unscrupulous people out there. So you can understand the caution as well. The dealer or selling party however should have done this for you since it is their responsibility.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic