question

jonathon-vella avatar image
jonathon-vella asked

Orion 12v |12V-30A not charging battery correctly

I have an Orion 12v30a isolated charger with an mppt 75/15 along with a BMV-712 Monitor and smart shunt.

I have a fridge connected to it currently and the voltage of the battery has lowered to 74%. When i drive the vehicle the Orion goes to bulk for a few minutes @ approx 22A.

after that few minutes the charge rate drops down to a few amp and even 0 but the charger states it is in BULK.

I have tried various options for engine detection smart alternator, Regular and user defined.

I get various results for both but currently i only have it set to user defined with a start voltage of 13.60.

If I disable engine detection i get 22A charging in bulk BUT it keeps going if I turn the engine off.

input lockdown voltage lock-out is 12.5 - 12.8v.

All negative loads go through the smart shunt on the loads and chargers connection on the shunt

positive goes direct to battery.

Vehicle is a 2016 triton which is a regular alternator though this is the worst profile in my findings.

I tested the input voltage from the alternator/primary battery and it is 13.60 when the engine is started.

Any ideas?

MPPT ControllersBMV Battery Monitororion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Wire the switch contacts on the Orion so it switches on and off with your ignition.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jonathon-vella avatar image jonathon-vella commented ·
I finally got around to wiring the ignition to the L pin but it doesnt seem to stop charging once the ignition is turned off. It stays in the state it was in. Any ideas? I had to go back to using the shutdown detection in the app.
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ jonathon-vella commented ·

Try swapping the ignition wire to the H pin.

+ signal to H pin, or - signal to L pin to enable charge.

Remote port. Correct model?

0 Likes 0 ·
jonathon-vella avatar image jonathon-vella klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Yeah that is correct. I did that after i read a post and you are correct. Its H pin. It wasnt in the manual though. Thanks for the response.
0 Likes 0 ·
charliem avatar image
charliem answered ·

I just installed an Orion Tr Smart 12/12-30 (non-isolated) in my 2016 Tundra/camper. This vehicle does have a smart(ass) alternator. I experienced similar mysteries with the charging behavior. I just did a week long trip, and learned a lot. After a lot of tweaking, I found settings that seem to work really well.

First off, I have a lithium battery. This is a critical factor In setting the voltages.

I had the same experience, where the charger seemed to back off on the power way too early. What worked for me was to set the absorption voltage higher, in my case to 14.1V for the lithium battery. This is a bit below the typical lithium absorption voltage (14.2V), but way above what the vendor (Discover Battery) specified for the absorption voltage. I wonder if your Orion is going into absorption mode even though it says it is in bulk?

To get a handle on the absorption voltage setting, I watched the BMV state-of-charge and the battery voltage, to see the voltage at which the battery reached 95% SOC. This matched my absorption voltage setting pretty well.

Also, are you sure that you don’t have a “smart“ alternator? I would expect a modern vehicle like a 2016 Tritón would have one.

Somewhere on this forum someone mentioned that when the Orion sees a voltage close to the “start” voltage, it goes into a mode where it starts to ramp down the charge current. I don’t think that this is well documented in the manual. Also, its not clear if this is the voltage under load, or the measured open circuit, but I believe it is the former. Since I have a long circuit run (~50’ round trip), with 6AWG wire, I’m going to get a voltage drop of around 0.6V. I set my start voltage 12.8V, and that also helped keep the current levels high for a reasonable time.

So, for my system, bumping up the absorption voltage and lowering the start voltage made the Orion perform as I expected.

Another thing. I think it is much better to look at the power reading on the BMV, rather that amperage. This takes voltage out of the equation. The Orion is a 360W rated device, and so it was much easier to understand the Orion output as it related to changing the battery.

After all was said and done, after about half an hour the power output of the Orion still moved all over the place. I found when I first started up the vehicle after a long winter night, the BMV would report an input of 450W, way above the rating of the Orion. But this would taper down to 360W in a few minutes. I would get a good healthy output for (say) the next half hour, and then it would fluctuate between 200W and 360W. I can’t explain this, since the Orion is essentially drawing from the starter battery, which should be able to provide all of the wattage that the Orion wants.

Overall, with these tweaks. I was able to get the Orion to rapidly charge my lithium battery in dark winter conditions, which is why I installed it. But I think that there is a lot of mysterious and magical logic in the Orion firmware that is not documented.

Sorry for this long screed, but perhaps it will be helpful.

2 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
The variable charge rate might be due to the alternator, it cuts, Orion then sees lower input voltage and as you suggest, drops the charge rate. But without proper documentation...
0 Likes 0 ·
jonathon-vella avatar image jonathon-vella commented ·

Thanks for the info. as commented above I ended up wiring the ignition wire and now it continues to charge after the ignition is turned off. https://www.redarc.com.au/forum/discussion/7487/about-variable-smart-alternators-on-modern-cars that site confirms the triton does not use a smart alternator.

0 Likes 0 ·
jonathon-vella avatar image
jonathon-vella answered ·

I followed this post https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/79387/remote-ignition-switch-wiring-confusion.html They had the same issue.

I tested this today and indeed it does work as expected and my tests confirmed as theirs did that the h remote wire connected to the ignition does turn charging when the engine is on and off when it is turned off.

I am curious why this isn't in any of the options in the installation manual.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

It is, 4.4b.

But not really visible/obvious. And it says a switch, should also be referring to the switched output from the ignition switch, like the one that turns the radio on.

By the way, did you turn on the smart alternator setting when you configured the Orion? Guessing you did.

There's also an engine on detection manual.

0 Likes 0 ·