question

marcp72 avatar image
marcp72 asked

Multicontrol wired wrong, would it damage a Multiplus?

Had a digital multicontrol installed and fitter added connected 12v DC to the 2 pin connector on back of the multi controller for GEN thinking it was required for power, when power is through the ethernet cable. The Multiplus will not allow AC power to pass through when on shore power since installation, all settings checked by Victron through VRM. Multicontrol has had the 12v DC removed and seems to work fine now but the Multiplus still will now allow AC through when on shore. Have removed the digital multi control as also have a Cerbo but still is the multi will not allow AC. Could this have damaged the Multiplus when the digital control was wired up to 12v as Victron are not honouring any warranty on the Multiplus now saying it was damaged through incorrect installation. Any help appreciated

Multiplus-IIDigital Multi Control
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@marcp72

While it was not covered by warranty, I am a bit surprised that you were not offered the option to pay for a replacement board and associated repair charges. Maybe it is something to ask your supplier about.

It is not beyond repair or help.

0 Likes 0 ·
marcp72 avatar image marcp72 Alexandra ♦ commented ·
I have been told there is no spare. I also do not believe the installation has caused an issue with this Multiplus, other people on here have had similar issues. It is unfair of Victron in my mind, I purchased all Victron partially due to the brand , thinking they would be as equally high customer service. Seems I was wrong on both counts
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ marcp72 commented ·

The ve bus is not designed to take power in through it. So yes the power back through the multi control would have damaged the control board in the victron.

If instructions were not followed for install, I ot sure how victron is responsible for that, since the product was not defective it was damage through improper use.

In any case a unit repairable even if it is not covered by warranty.

If your supplier does not have a spare it is possible to still order one on your behalf. Your first line of suppport is supposed to be supplier or distributors.

screenshot-20211101-204747.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
ldwh avatar image ldwh Alexandra ♦ commented ·
This form of contact is absolutely a waste of time. Victron do not respond at all. You get a standard follow up automated email after 7 days asking if a solution has been reached and then nothing.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ marcp72 commented ·
If the supplier is unwilling to help then maybe they are not exactly an authorized dealer. There are alot of places faking their way these days. You can source the supplying dealership with this form and get support through them.
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

YES if you connect power to the VE-BUS then you will damage the Multiplus - Victron repairs and support is done through the authorised dealer support centres , Again as advised above - you can replace the damaged board, but really its not victron's fault if it was installed and connected incorrectly - the instalation manual does cover how its supose to be installed and connecting 12 volt power to the ve-Bus is NOT allowed

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes