question

Paul B avatar image
Paul B asked

New 123 smart BMS interface to GX device (Info ONLY)

Info only for those who are interested.

the below works on all 123 smart BMS - Gen 2 and Gen 3 BMS systems.

GX Units MUST BE on FW 2.80 or latter

123 smart have released a free app that installs to all GX devices, they can also supply a small USB interface /or you can supply your own - that connects to the 123 end board ext data out connection and then via USB to the Cerbo,CCGX,Venus

this then adds another battery monitor to the system if you have more than one

you can also add extra 123BMS USB interfaces if you have more than one BMS to monitor

you can then see the Highest and the lowest cell voltage

also if a high or low even occurs then a alarm is sent to the notifications area.

The software is added by inserting a sdcard into the gx units SD card slot, Softare can be downloaded from 123smarts site. Download site HERE

(Edited 23/01/2022 ) I now used Kevins GuiMods program to install - as onced the GuiMods Package manager is installed you can also select to install the 123smart BMS software = Plus GuiMods updates the software if a new release is issued by 123 = Download Gui Modes Here

Copy of the screen displays are below.

1635667494839.png1635667786913.png

1635667836000.png

BMS
1635667494839.png (32.1 KiB)
1635667786913.png (24.2 KiB)
1635667836000.png (34.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

11 Answers
jeroend avatar image
jeroend answered ·

very VERY interested, thanks for sharing this information. It will be interesting to check this as at this moment the readings vary quite a bit between eg. the Victron SmartShunt and the 123BMS app. Any hints on the cable assembly?

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·
all I do is connect the 123usb up to the end boards ext port and then use a good quality usb extension cord to the GX unit. I have used a 10mtr extension cable and that works fine

The gx must be on 2.80~24 or above so upgrade first

when you install the software first time you reboot the gx device 3 times then the new battery monitor will apear

0 Likes 0 ·
jeroend avatar image jeroend Paul B commented ·

Cable arrived ;-) so I'll be at the van tonight installing this. I do wonder whether I should crimp like a round pin connector (what is in a name) to the wire end to be able to insert it a bit easier. (cannot find any specs on the pcb wire connector apart from max 0,75mm2 in the manual of the BMS)

0 Likes 0 ·
jeroend avatar image jeroend jeroend commented ·

Inserting the 2 wires proves more difficult than thought....the connector on the board seems for solid cable (only) and wire but crimp connectors for 0,50mm2 wire do not fit the connector..... another attempt tomorrow with help of daylight (need soldering iron to straigthen and fix the wires).

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B jeroend commented ·
yes the connect is for solid cables only so solder the wire ends and trim too size -

DO not over stress the connector on the board. remember to use the small removal tool if you are removing any connections

0 Likes 0 ·
jeroend avatar image jeroend Paul B commented ·

All connected now. For the installation in combination with the guimods from Kevin Windrem proved to need a slight manual touch. Now trying to interpret the screen/code:

123bms.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
123bms.jpg (39.2 KiB)
faza avatar image
faza answered ·

Hello

Thanks for giving this information!

Since I have the 123smart bms and to be able know the state of my lithium batteries, the only access was a Bluetooth connection and for that I hesitated to change my bms by another one with better communication.

So I bought this USB cable, the installation was simple to add it in my venus gx and it works very well. Now I have access at the level and temperature of battery's cells everywhere by looking the VRM Portal.

Fabien

2 |3000

llubi avatar image
llubi answered ·

So you know if there is some configuration in the Cerbo to start & stop the charging / discharging when the BMS ask for it without needing to wire directly to MPPT and / or Multiplus?

2 |3000

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Yes when using Kevin's package manage. Add 123smart bms and the version 1.2~2 will install. This has full dvc ccl dcl control and thus controls the multi and the ve direct products. DVCC must be on

2 comments
2 |3000

llubi avatar image llubi commented ·
Thanks! Will try it!
0 Likes 0 ·
stpmusic avatar image stpmusic commented ·
Which Lifepo4-Type should be set in ESS to use these DVCC control over USB?

Lifepo4 ve.bus, Lifepo4 CAN or Lifepo4 2-Signal

0 Likes 0 ·
colonel-moutarde avatar image
colonel-moutarde answered ·

Hi there,

I just bought a EasySolar-II GX and a bunch of Winston cells with a 123SmartBMS. I also bought their BMS to USB cable in order to connect it to the GX unit and have a VRM reading. I read that VenusOS must be 2.80 at least but the OS in the EasySolar is 2.60 and apparently their is no update for it yet. Did I misunderstand that the GX in the EasySolar is not a "real" Venus/Cerbo and I cannot use this feature ? Thanks for your support.

Marc

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I believe the EasySolar II GX uses the NanoPi version of the GX device and I see a 2.84 version for that platform in the feeds directory. Did you attempt an on-line update?

As far as I know, the GX device inside the EasySolar differs only in the display and processing power.

The reason the 123 BMS doesn't work on Venus OS prior to v2.80 is the switch from Python 2 to Python 3. The 123 BMS was written in Python 3 and won't run on Python 2.

2 |3000

I finally found the 2.84 version and I've updated the GX. So I installed the BMS "add-on" but unfortunately, no extra 123SmartBMS menu appears. I've asked the BMS manufacturer who kindly replied on Saturday, but they don't know. Is there any special action to do to make the option appears ? And maybe a way to confirm that the BMS add-on is well installed or even present (like a readable directory) ?

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem answered ·

I believe the 123SmartBMS is using my SetupHelper blind install to install the necessary bits and pieces. To check if it's installed, go the bottom of the Settings menu and see if there is a PackageManager menu. Inside this look at the Active packages list and make sure 123SmartBMS is shown. If not, back up one menu and go to the Inactive packages list and select 123SmartBMS then select Proceed. Then go back to the active packages list and Download if nothing shown in "stored", then Install.

If Active packages shows the 123SmartBMS is already installed, then you might need to check your wiring to make sure the USB interface is installed properly.

I'd contact 123 Electric for more help.

2 comments
2 |3000

colonel-moutarde avatar image colonel-moutarde commented ·
Hello and thanks for your help. No PackageManager menu was available (the last menu is "Service") so I followed your instructions from your Github. But no more success, still no extra menu. I understand that it is a RPi Nano that runs the whole thing. It is a bad news for me, I am good in tinkering, electronics and wiring, but more or less clueless with Linux.
0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B colonel-moutarde commented ·

It should install and you should see the package maker add on as kevein says so check your SD card must be nomore than 32 gb and must be formatted fat or fat32 check the manual for your gx unit for the format type.

once installed the do to inactive items and add the 123smart BMS then go to active and install it - then all should show

0 Likes 0 ·

Did the whole thing again but from another computer and with another USB stick. Worked !!!

I noticed that when downloading the archive from Github, the suffix is changed from .tgz to .tar (on a Mac). Maybe it is the problem.

Big thanks to all !

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem answered ·

YES, Mac OS unzips the file so it won't be detected by Victron's blind install mechanism.

In Safari preferences you need to turn off Open "safe" files after downloading.

2 |3000

gianluca avatar image
gianluca answered ·

Hello,

I'm using Multiplus II GX 48V and i follow all the procedure to intall the package manager, everything seems to be successful but this is what the GUI shows:

immagine-2022-07-12-212037.pngThere is not version indicated. Should I miss something?

Thank you for your support.

Gianluca

2 |3000