question

duttonga avatar image
duttonga asked

Battery Isolator Argo Diode 80A working in reverse

Good day,

I am using a Argo Battery Isolator 80A on a 48Vdc Telecoms site. The Live circuit is Negative polarity with Positive to ground.

I am isolating two Lithium batteries using the diode wired on the negative circuit. But diode works in reverse. Charger to Output and Battery to input??

Lithium BatteryArgo FET Diode
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

That's the way how a diode works.
The Argo diodes are designed to be wired into the positive.
If you place it in the negative it's function is reversed.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Argo-Diode-Battery-Combiners-EN.pdf

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

duttonga avatar image duttonga commented ·

Thanks you.

Will it be detrimental to the diode or is it okay that I connect it like this?

Will volt drop increase or will the diode prematurely age at all??

0 Likes 0 ·
duttonga avatar image
duttonga answered ·

Thanks you @Matthias Lange - DE .

Will it be detrimental to the diode or is it okay that I connect it like this?

Will volt drop increase or will the diode prematurely age at all??

2 |3000

bartv avatar image
bartv answered ·

The diode insulator for charging two batteries from one source contains two diodes The unit has three terminals. So one side of the two diodes are combined and connected to one terminal, This is the output terminal.

This works if you place the charging insulator in the positive battery lead.

If you have positive ground system, you still need to place this unit in the positive lead of the battery and connect the common terminal of the unit to ground.

This can give some complications as the ground terminal form the battery is not anymore directly connected to the ground.

If you want to place a charging isolation unit into the negative line, the diodes need to be reversed to work properly. Fortunately these unite exist and are called battery combiners. https://www.victronenergy.com/battery-isolators-and-combiners/argo-diode-battery-combiners

Normally a combiner is place into a the plush line of two batteries to combine them, to feed one load, without the danger that one battery can discharge the other one.

However when placed into the minus line this unit will work as charging insulator.

Problem solved!

2 |3000