question

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem asked

GX Touch on Raspberry PI running Venus OS

I tried connecting a GX Touch 70 to my Raspberry PI 4 running Venus OS. As I suspected, the touch doesn't work. Just wondering if anyone has found the bits in the Cerbo (Einstein) version of Venus that would make this work.

Yes I know some RPI4s don't work with Venus. Mine does (v1.2 board).

Yes I know the touch is on i2c over HDMI.

If this should work, then I'll look at my hardware. I needed some adapters to bet the HDMI connected to the PI. It could have not passed the i2c.

Venus OSRaspberry Pigx device
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Kevin,

the protocol we use on top of i2c (which is a low level standard as you'll know) for the touch, is non-standard; its victron designed. To make it work, someone will need to look for the kernel driver we made for it and related changes we added/made to the kernel we use for all non-rpi platforms, and then port them over to the rpi4 kernel we use.

Porting that to rpi4 requires someone with linux kernel development experience.

Here is the branch we currently use: https://github.com/victronenergy/linux/commits/venus-5.10.42........

all config changes and code changes we made are on top. If you scroll down through the history, you’ll find where our changes end, and the standard kernel starts; its the commit named 5.10.42.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
Thanks Matthijs. I was hoping this would be something simple but it's way over my head to dig into kernel modifications.
0 Likes 0 ·
ellisma avatar image
ellisma answered ·

Given the last comment on this was over 2 years back, does anyone know whether is necessary changes have been applied to Venus for a pi 4 to use the touch on a GX Touch 50/70? Thank you.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Raspberry Pi running Victron’s Venus firmware - Blog Post

Venus OS Large image: Signal K and Node-RED - Install

raspberrypi install venus image

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic