question

ningaloo avatar image
ningaloo asked

Raspberry Pi USB extension / hub

I have 3 victron devices (2 X Mppt and smartshunt) that I want to connect to my Raspberry Pi via VE Direct.

When I plug the VE Direct Usb into the Pi it works as expected however my devices are 2-3 metres away from the Pi and I need to use a USB extension cable to reach them. The extension cable works ok with other devices but does not work with the victron units.

Ideally I would like to use a USB hub with a 2 metre cable and plug the individual victron devices into that. Should this work? Any recommendations for a suitable hub?

Raspberry PiVE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Make sure the hub is powered.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bluejeans avatar image bluejeans commented ·
I had this same question. I was wondering whether a hub needed to be powered. I guess it does. Have you found a hub that would power on 12v with an internal step down? Or do they all need to be externally stepped down to 5v?
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Most of the hubs come with an external 12V transformer. Just make sure it can take your charging voltage.

3 comments
2 |3000

bluejeans avatar image bluejeans commented ·
what hub did you use?
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ bluejeans commented ·
Mine was RSHTECH 4 port with USB charger built in.
0 Likes 0 ·
bluejeans avatar image bluejeans kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Did you cut the wall wart and connect to battery power?

0 Likes 0 ·