question

dune7 avatar image
dune7 asked

7 Solar Panels into an EasySolar. Odd number of Panels

I have space for 7 x 40Voc 355W panels on my roof going into an Easysolar 5000 and 2 x Pylontech 48/3000 batteries

I can envisage only 6 panels connecting to the 150/100 MPPT at 80v or 120v configuration

If I want the 7th panelincluded, am I right in thinking that it would be best to reconfigure and buy a second Victron MPPT controller and configure 3 panels in series at 120v into the 150/100 MPPT and four in 2p2s configuration at 80v into a second MPPT controller link the two MPPT outputs into the batteries and both their controls into the GX controller?

Thank you in advance for any expertise offered on the above proposal and secondly the system design I am considering in general.

Kind regards

EasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
taylortops avatar image
taylortops answered ·

I'm having similar thoughts. Like your situation, my MPPT has plenty of capacity to run the whole lot. Realising the differences in current and voltage, my current approach is to insert an MC4 Diode into each string. That said, having an MPPT per string would give you better MPPT performance overall, especially if each strings captures different parts of the day. It's a bang for buck consideration. The diodes are only a few bucks each. I'll report back.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.