question

nomad avatar image
nomad asked

MultiPlus Three Phase Setup with Option for Single Phase Mode?

I am installing a 3phase Setup with 3 Multiplus 24-3000 in an offgrid camper setup.

Input will be single phase. I will not need the 3phase configuration all the time.

Is there any way to switch to single phase mode with only one Multiplus active and back to 3phase if needed? Therefore saving standby power of 2 Multiplus when 3000VA would be enough?

I understand that if I switch off 2 Multiplus the system will give a failure and not work at all.

Best Regards

multiple inverterscampervan
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·

@Nomad

You can build system like this,

screen-shot-2021-10-19-at-33026-pm.pngand use only one phase when 3 phases are not needed.

If you need more power than 1 MP can provide, connect additional single phase loads to the other 2 phases.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nomad avatar image
nomad answered ·

In my case, all phases are alwyas connected but the AC distribution allows for using just one phase. But I understand, that if I switch off MP 2 & 3, the system will not work at all?

1 comment
2 |3000

marekp avatar image marekp commented ·

Onece you connect them as 3 phase system, turning off one of them (or two) will trigger an error and all will switch off.

If you need more single phase power on one phase than the others, you can buy more powerful Multiplus for that purpose, and generate 3 phase power from 1 phase line with 1ph/3ph inverter.

0 Likes 0 ·
pi314 avatar image
pi314 answered ·

Hey together,

@MarekP I got the system wired as in your picture (L2 and L3 floating / not connected)

I followed the victron professional training video to set up a 3 phase system. However now I'm stuck in "inverting" mode and have no idea how I can manage that the first (L1 connected) MultiPlus II accepts the AC1 input and switches to charging/inverting. Any help on how to modify the setup would be appreciated.

2 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Did you try uncheck the "switch as a group" setting in the vebus system configurator?
2 Likes 2 ·
pi314 avatar image pi314 nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Thx @nickdb, I missed that switch and it did the trick.

System is now charging single phase and has 400V on the AC outs so I should be able to run my tabletop saw for an hour or so, or longer once I get my solar panels attached to the MPPTs ;-)

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic