question

svboundless42 avatar image
svboundless42 asked

Overcharging issues

I have Victron 100/50 solar with 550w connected to my marine system with 450ah of victron LiPo4 batteries. I have the Cyrix Li Ct installed as well as the BMS 712 and the Victron battery protect. Recently when running the engine I received high voltage alarm from my AGM starter battery ( at 15.6v). House bank was still around 14.2 ( lithium).

Happened twice when motoring for longer time periods. Then the other day at the dock plugged into shore power with solar on and with the Victron Multi Invertor/Charger on charging mode got another high voltage alarm of 15.6 on the agm starter battery, but house bank at 14.2. I voltage tested the battery at the terminals both times and it was high voltage.

My alternator is a 120 amp on a Beta marine 50. Engine and alternator as well as all victron systems are only 2 years old.

Any advice on how to trouble shoot this would be appreciated. Currently in Mexico in an area with no Victron support available.

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Check the alternator regulator - is it limiting correctly? This should be regulated out at 14.4 - 14.8V, plus any drop included in the external voltage sensing. Also check the voltage limit set points in the inverter charger, likewise this should limit to 14.4 - 14.8V.

Also, check what happens to any remote voltage sensing, and charging drops across split charging relays, battery protect devices etc.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic