question

jurekz avatar image
jurekz asked

Connection Venus to Chinese hybrid PV inverter

Hello

Have you tried to connect Venus (Raspberry Pie) to Chinese hybrid inverter (known as EA Sun, MPP Solar and many other brands)?
With his WiFi module, inverter should support Modbus TCP, Victron Venus could scan devices for Modbus TCP support ā€“ Iā€™m quite wonder is that possible to read some data from that kind of inverter?
Do you have any experience with that?

Maybe any modyfications are prepared for that?

Venus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
cpuburner avatar image
cpuburner answered Ā·
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

paul-sharp avatar image paul-sharp commented Ā·

Cool, is this for wifi connection or cabled connection?

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered Ā·

Venus outputs data (mainly) on the TCP/IP Modbus. In order to read Modbus data in from third party products, you would need to add a service that connects to the inverter's Modbus server, reads the data and inputs this to the Venus dbus service.

2 |3000

jurekz avatar image
jurekz answered Ā·

No, it looks like a deferent protocol

https://github.com/jblance/mpp-solar

2 |3000

mikhail-petukhov avatar image
mikhail-petukhov answered Ā·

It is possible, but you need to create own driver which will read data from inverter and insert it into the venus dbus in exactly the same way as it done for Multi inverters. I'm python beginner, in my case the process of writing drivers is very slow, with many bugs and fixes on the fly. But the main functionality works, all inverter data present on the local console and in the VRM.

I have old Voltronic InfiniSilar Hybrid 3KW and it is still working after eight years already.

screenshot-2021-11-10-10-23-29-107-comandroidchrom.jpg

screenshot-2021-11-10-10-22-18-462-comandroidchrom.jpg

screenshot-2021-11-10-10-23-03-040-comandroidchrom.jpg

2 comments
2 |3000

bigbrovar avatar image bigbrovar commented Ā·
Hello. It's been close to 2 years now since you talked about this code. You would be doing s great service to the community by sharing. Even if it is raw and unoptimized. It can be improved and create a driver that allows Chinese inverter using voltronic communication protocol to work with Venus. Plesee consider this my friend.
1 Like 1 Ā·
neoneddy avatar image neoneddy commented Ā·
You gotta share this code ! :-)
0 Likes 0 Ā·
jurekz avatar image
jurekz answered Ā·

could you share that python code?

This is exectly what I would do - but with that China inverters.

There is similar topics regarding to SunnyIsland inverter.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/62485/help-creating-custom-venus-driver-for-sma-sunnyisl.html

5 comments
2 |3000

mikhail-petukhov avatar image mikhail-petukhov commented Ā·

Will try upload to the github, but never try it before. I'll mention again that I'm a beginner and my code is not optimal and probably needs many improvements.

@madsci1016 did a nice job, I took little part of code from him for energy consumption counting.

My InfiniSolar 3KW is also made in China by Voltronic Power. Many solar fans known these inverters as PIP manufactured by MPP Solar. MPP Solar is oldest resaller only.

So, initially you have to identify the original name and model of inverter you have. Next step - find proper communication protocol documentation or any python or arduino examle for parsing data. In most cases China inverters have RS232 or USB interface with private data protocol with CRC check. Some of them could be equipped with optional Modbus card or has it initially. For last case best way is to use @madsci1016 made driver as base.

In addition, you have all in one device, Venus and VRM environment created for separate devices, it mean self made driver should create inverter adn solar charger.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
jurekz avatar image jurekz mikhail-petukhov commented Ā·

Yes, this is that. This is that most popular Chinese hybrid inverter which is OEM to different companies like MPP Solar or EASY Solar. I do not have yet that but fingers crossed to yours sucess. Please public the code - i beleive so somone will help you (unfotunetelly I'm not phyton programmer)

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mikhail-petukhov avatar image mikhail-petukhov jurekz commented Ā·

As a longtime owner of a Chinese inverter, I suggest you think twice before buying one. You will not be able to use the set of nice features available for configuring Victron + Fronius inverters, such as AC coupling, zero feed-in, ESS and other flexible scenarios. You will have poor measurement accuracy from a Chinese inverter and never have the bug fix software updates.

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Thank you for advice, I will consider all of that. Victron is best product, but expensive - expecially in my configuration. I have 3 phases fronius inverters. To make "Ac coupling" i need 3x Victron inverter in 3 phase configuration. Or - simply leave Fronius connected to the 3 phase grid and reconect internal cabling to one phase with Victron (or other, maybe chinese) inverter. Right now (in Poland) I have option to "store" energy in the grid and get 80% back. So I'm thinking about off-grid system as a hobby right now.

0 Likes 0 Ā·

And how it going that publishing that code? Is that available somewhere?

0 Likes 0 Ā·
sas avatar image
sas answered Ā·

Hello! The driver would be fine. I'm using an Axpert as second MPPT.

2 comments
2 |3000

xavifm avatar image xavifm commented Ā·
Please can you share the link . Thanks
1 Like 1 Ā·
lbpuma3 avatar image lbpuma3 commented Ā·
hello have you a link from the software

best regards

0 Likes 0 Ā·

Related Resources