question

jimmer avatar image
jimmer asked

Abnormal Noises in MultiPlus-II 2x120V

I recently installed a new MultiPlus-II 2x120V in my camper. When charging 5 BattleBorn 100 Ahour batteries, whenever the Multiplus switched to float charging (and also towards the end of Absorption charging), it would make a strange buzzing/humming noise. These strange noises do not occur when bulk charging. I returned the unit to my retailer who observed the same strange noises when tested on the bench using different batteries. Communications with Victron resulted in Victron declaring the unit was defective and authorized a replacement under warranty. Prior to picking up the second/new MultiPlus, the retailer tested the second Multiplus and it made the same strange noises. Victron stated that no one else has reported these strange noises, and has no solution.

Has anyone else with a Multiplus II 2x120V experienced any strange noises during float charging?

For me, the noise was mostly a loud humming sound. My retailer describes the sound as follows: The humming noise does get louder when in float charge which is strange. We also note a tiny clicking sound and a rhythmic buzzing as the charge current “bounces” a little bit between 0.0 amps and 3.0 amps. It is odd. Later in float mode it is making a rhythmic bzzt-bzzt-bzzt at about 2-3 Hz.

I also have a Progressive Industries 50 amp hardwired Surge Protector (EMS-HW50C). This device has a current readout of how much current is being passed to the Multiplus. Prior to the noise of the Multiplus occuring, the Surge Protector shows a 1 amp current draw. As soon as the noise starts, the Surge Protector shows 7 to 8 amps of current to Multiplus. However, an amp meter connected at the house circuit breaker box shows only about a 3.5 amp current draw, so that buzzing is injecting some type of noise on the AC line which is confusing the Surge Protector. I thought it was defective Surge Protector and a replacement exhibits the exact same behavior of a false amp draw.

Is it possible that my retailer got a bad batch of Multiplus IIs? Any ideas are welcome. However, since this issue occurs both when installed in my camper, and also when at my retailer's shop in a completely different environment with different batteries, it seems like it has nothing to do with the install/batteries/cables.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi all, this is (most likely) fixed; lets use the other thread to finish it up. Thank you!

this is the other thread: https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/104858/excessive-noise-while-charging-via-new-multiplus-i.html

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
ps accepted my own answer to put it to the top; even though I don't like accepting my own answers.
0 Likes 0 ·
recupirate avatar image
recupirate answered ·

Thank you for posting this inquiry as I am having similar results. The difference in mine is that I get the noise in all stages of charging so I just have to leave the charger disabled for now. I also experience the same AC noise on my EMS-HW50 that you described. It had me paranoid for a while until I tested with another meter to determine a bunch of current wasn't disappearing into my installation somewhere.

It is good to hear it isn't just me and also good to hear that Victron was willing to replace. It is disheartening to hear your replacement didn't resolve it. I will let you know if I get better results. My retailer doesn't have other units on hand so getting satisfaction looks like it will be more challenging.

I am posting my inquiry below for anyone that comes across this post and wants to see it as well.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/104858/excessive-noise-while-charging-via-new-multiplus-i.html

1 comment
2 |3000

jimmer avatar image jimmer commented ·
Victron is now fully aware of the problem. They are aware of this posting, and I believe have also have been told about your post. They have been sent videos by my distributor of several different units having this behavior. They are studying and there is hope that a firmware update will eventually fix it. But today, there are problems. I plan on buying a separate charger and not using the charger of the Multiplus II.
0 Likes 0 ·
ldwh avatar image
ldwh answered ·

Same problem here with a new Multiplus. Initially supplied, programmed and installed in my motorhome by an authorised Victron agent it first developed a fault code on the 3rd time of use. Supplier "fixed" the fault code but within 24 hours of plugging into shore power a loud buzzing, to the extent it overheated. Good luck on a replacement or honouring of warranty. I am still waiting on a reply after 3 months having tried numerous times to get a response from the supplier, Victron UK, and Victron NL.

2 |3000