question

lars-uthberg avatar image
lars-uthberg asked

VE.Bus Smart dongle together with Multiplus C remote switch

I have installed a VE.Bus smart dongle as voltage sens to a Multiplus C 12/1600/70 and I want at the same time to use an external switch to operate the Multiplus.

When I read the manual for Multiplus C about settings for the DIP switch (DS1&2) I mistakenly assumed that these settings were valid but this is not the case.

In the manual for Multiplus it says

Default setting: to operate the product with the “On/Off/Charger Only” switch

ds 1: “off” ds 2: “on”

Setting for remote operation with a Multi Control Panel:
ds 1: “on” ds 2: “off”

Setting for remote operation with a 3-way switch:
ds 1: “off” ds 2: “off”

Now I read in another thread that it is not possible to use an external switch at the same time as VE.Bus smart dongle since it also controls Multiplus on / off and it then becomes a conflict.

I am in great need of a voltage sens to Multiplus C while I need an remot switch for on/off.

Is there anyone who can help me find a solution with a configuration that solves my needs?

Lars

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerVE.Bus Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Energy Staff)
Can the smart dongle be combined with a digital remote control?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

You will get the voltage and temperature sense features of the dongle, but miss out on the software switch features in VictronConnect.

img-4027.png (224.9 KiB)
img-4030.jpeg (139.7 KiB)
img-4031.png (352.3 KiB)
img-4033.png (251.0 KiB)
2 |3000

boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

So than the answer is: u can use a digital multi control to remotely switch on / off the unit (and be able to set input current limit)

1 comment
2 |3000

Yes, the devices will work together.

Where the features overlap, they will be disabled for one of the devices, but still available on the other.

0 Likes 0 ·
lars-uthberg avatar image
lars-uthberg answered ·

Hi and thanks for the answers

My first choice was to use a DMC but unfortunately there is no physical location for it and we are forced to use a switch in an existing panel to turn on Multiplus.

The installation is aboard a sailboat and it is desirable that Multiplus does not draw any power when shore power is not present and the need for inverter does not exist.

If it is not possible to combine Smart dongle with external switch, my next choice is to mount a relay on the power supply from the batteries to Multiplus.

- Will it cause any problems?

- Will the pass through function in Multiplus work if the shore power is connected and my external relay is open and the multiplus does not have contact with the batteries?

- Is it possible to change the software in Multiplus so that dip switches 1 & 2 have priority over the choice of how to control Multiplus?

@Guy Stewart (Victron Energy Staff)

Regards

Lars

2 |3000