question

kosio86 avatar image
kosio86 asked

EasySolar II better than EasySolar?

Hi,

I am looking to buy a 48/5000 system and I am trying to do an educated pick between the old (cheaper) version with Color Display and Breaker box and the new Easysolar II GX with no Color display and breaker box. A third option is to have Multiplus I or II and SmartSolar but it seems that total the price gets even worse. So, could someone elaborate on why I should buy the Second version over the 1st one? I still can not find the advantages in the product description.

EasySolar All-in-One
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mrhappy avatar image mrhappy commented ·

Maybe look around and get prices from more distributors. Where I am the II versions are significantly cheaper than their first version counterparts.

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @kosio86

I'm not really up on this, but I think the newer design is more suited to grid-tie application, like exporting power. And will be the one Victron offer for certification to do that. Perhaps a more 'globalised' design?

I have the older 48/5000 (nearly 5 yrs now) , and what won me was the row of onboard breakers (I needed a new switchboard anyway). Not sure if that's still there, but if you didn't want them they'd just confuse things.

The older is much taller and ~10kg heavier. One wonders where the weight saving comes from with electronic kit? And at 48kg I needed to install a lifting hook for a winch to get it on the wall.

The older design tried'n'proven, and should still be supported for a long time yet, but there are the odd (subtle?) differences that could sway you.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

The easysolar II and multiplus II and Quattro II these are just the Latest version of the older products and in time will replace them fully I think. but for now they just have better components and updated systems and Firmware, however the Basic operation there is no real diferance,

1 comment
2 |3000

marekp avatar image marekp commented ·
The one difference is when you want it to work ON-grid.

The new design does not need extra, and not cheap, anti-islanding device.

0 Likes 0 ·
kosio86 avatar image
kosio86 answered ·

I kind of get that, but is there some new functionality that one ot the other has? Like mobile app management, canbus BMS connection. The price difference in the store I am looking at is ~500Eur and I am trying to justify it.

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Officially both have the same price
https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pricelist/Web_PricelistVictron-EURO_2021-Q3.pdf
(bottom of page 3)
The new Version has a much more powerful GX device and internal NS-protection (I don't know if that is required in your country)

0 Likes 0 ·
kosio86 avatar image
kosio86 answered ·

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation. I don't want to export power at first, but I would definately like to have this option at a later stage.

1 comment
2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·
The new hardware should be ever so slightly more efficient under zero load. I stand to be corrected, but I vaguely recall the decision to no longer include an AC distribution board and breakers is because of the certification complications with these in for different countries.Finally, the MPPT is now a 250/100 as opposed 150/100 on the 5kVA.
0 Likes 0 ·