question

arsmachina avatar image
arsmachina asked

Is it possible with EasySolar to give PV charging poriority over grid charging?

I am thinking about replacing and upgrading all the electric stuff in my 1997 mobile home.

I want to add photovoltaik and as the mobile home is also permanently connected to the grid (I am only visiting at the weekends) I am looking for a solution that is charging my batteries mainly from photovoltaik and only uses the grid for charging when there is not enough sun.

My compressor fridge is running all the time, so I need permanent power.

Is it possible with EasySolar (not yet sure which size I will take) to get this PV charging priority over grid charging so I do only have to pay for grid power when there is not enough sun to power my fridge while I am away over the weekdays.

Thanks for your help!

Jochen

EasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
rickp avatar image
rickp answered ·

In the Multiplus there is a function called “AC Ignore” that accomplishes this. I’m not sure if it exists on the EasySolar, but you can check the manual for it.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

arsmachina avatar image arsmachina commented ·

Hello Rick,

can I switch this “AC Ignore” automatically depending on the charge state of the battery and the PV output state?

Thanks Jochen

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @ArsMachina

The EasySolar has a Multiplus aboard, so it has all the same functionality.

The simple way to give the solar priority is to just set the Multi charge setpoints a little lower than the solar mppt. In that case you could just switch in the grid manually as you need it, whether or not the solar is active.

This can all be 'automated' to a high degree, but comes with the need for a little experience to know what you actually need, then how to set it up.

The Easy is a good choice, providing the components within are all suited to your needs. It's really just a 'combo' box of devices that you can purchase separately.

2 comments
2 |3000

arsmachina avatar image arsmachina commented ·

Hello John,

Quote: In that case you could just switch in the grid manually as you need it

The problem is, that I am not there to switch anything manually. The car is alone over the weekdays and I am only there the weekends. So I need automatic charging switching to keep the costs low (grid power) but still have my 12V fridge running all the time.

Thanks Jochen

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ arsmachina commented ·

@ArsMachina

Ok. This leads to the 'Ignore AC input' thing that Rick mentioned. You'll need access to the Multi settings either with a MK3 Adaptor, or via VRM (some bigger Easy's have a GX aboard to get there).

I'd do it with an Assistant, described broadly here.. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/assistants:start

In particular, this one.. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/assistants:ignore_ac_input_using_the_generator_assistant

The example there isn't suited to you, but the objective is to switch on/off the Ignore AC (your grid) using the onboard ac relay in the Multi, based on (maybe) low voltage in your batts.

Bit of a learning curve to tackle here, but you'll find it worth the effort.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·
2 |3000

rickp avatar image
rickp answered ·

I have the AC Ignore set for state of charge at 30% I believe, which takes a bit of trial and error setting with LifePe04 batteries because voltage drop reading is near flat and goes quickly at the end. I have shore power available and it kicks in to charge at that point, charges back to 100%, then resets to AC Ignore until the next time the “on” parameter is met.

Once you get in there and see the logic of how the settings interact, it’ll make a lot more sense. It’s like a reverse-UPS, backwards to the default setup. You can pick which conditions work best for your need.

2 |3000

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

To do this you need to setup ESS. so look up ess setup on the victron site

once this is setup and you will need a GX device to do this. then you can set the min bat state of charge to say 90% also set the grid set point to say 50 watts and then turn on the DC coupled PV (ie the smartsolar units) on

1633169216059.png

Then the solar well be used to charge the batteries until they are 100% then it will export the solar excess if there is a grid or the smartsolars will reduce charge then at night it will take from the battery until the soc set point is reached

1633169461884.png

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:quick-installation-guide

Make sure you are on the latest fw for everything.

I have just finished setting one up for a client and its working great for him

1633169216059.png (21.6 KiB)
1633169461884.png (31.2 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·
you can then also monitor the site remotey and do all adjustments remotely Inc FW upgrades and adjustments to the easysolar regulator and the multiplus inside (Note Internet access is required)
0 Likes 0 ·