question

smartpowernorway avatar image
smartpowernorway asked

How to SSH access to Cerbo to achieve root access

Hi.

I have been trying to connect SSH to my Cerbo GX without success.

This is what I have done so far:

- Followed this https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:root_access#enable_sshd_and_log_in

- Used Putty and OpenSSH

- Was first trying over the internet using my mobile as hotspot for both the PC and the Cerbo. Then realized that the Cerbo (Venus OS) says SSH on LAN. Then connected both devices to my home router... no sucess.

- Configuration used on Putty:

Host name: 84.22.107.120 (or any of the specific IPs assigned to the Cerbo). Also tried root@84.22.107.120.

Port: tried 22, 80, 443 and the port of the server (Cerbo).

Connection/SSH/Tunnels

Source port: tried many different numbers (8000, 5000, 80,443, etc)

Destination: 84.22.107.120:XXXXX (XXXXX is the port used by the cerbo and shown on the settings along with the IP).

Also used OpenSSH with different configurations.

Any light will be greatly appreciated since I am now just running in loops.

Thanks.

cerbo gxssh
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
lykke avatar image
lykke answered ·

Hi Smartpowernorway, Did you ever solve this?

I'm having problems with remote consol and I can no longer SSH into the Cerbo. Tried activating Superuser again, and while everything appears OK, I keep getting "connection refused" with Putty.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pau1phi11ips avatar image
pau1phi11ips answered ·

It's just on the default SSH port 22.

You're definitely have Access Level set to Super User and you've set the root password via Venus?

1 comment
2 |3000

lykke avatar image lykke commented ·
Yes - same LAN, port 22, superuser and pw set.
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, This works locally, from within the LAN, or WiFi, network.

Not over the internet

1 comment
2 |3000

lykke avatar image lykke commented ·
Same LAN, I even cabled the Cerbo to make sure there is a good connection
0 Likes 0 ·
lykke avatar image
lykke answered ·

Yes - I've used SSH several times on the current FW (2.73) to install some code to have the Cerbo post data to my server - all that still works and it has been running for the last year or so. I've tried to reactivate SSH following the superuser route, but without success.

VRM logging works. A couple of months ago the VRM remote consol stopped working. Maybe at the same time we got a new internet supplier, but we have our own router and run the vendor router as a modem, so there is really not much change to the local network.

Maybe I need to start a fresh and reset the Cerbo to factory defaults, but it has been running rock stabe so I would really like to avoid that.

2 |3000

lykke avatar image
lykke answered ·

Reinstalled 2.73 on top of the old installation and now everything works again :-)

2 |3000

usernamepasswordbs avatar image
usernamepasswordbs answered ·

Would that be the solution then? To reinstall the cerbo firmware?

I have no idea what the username should be but I have tried the Victron installation number and serial number etc. and can't think what else it should be.

Anyway, the superuser password has been tried and reset many times but I only get "access denied" when trying to log in.

Is a firmware reinstall the answer?

2 |3000

usernamepasswordbs avatar image
usernamepasswordbs answered ·

Username is "root". When Putty asks "login as?", you type "root".

2 |3000