question

alspal avatar image
alspal asked

Battery protect between fridge and battery, alternator directly to battery

Hello,

I have very basic knowledge of electronics, please keep that in mind when commenting :)

Up until now I had a straightforward setup. My 2nd car battery (used only by my small dc fridge) was charged directly by my car alternator (BM Solenoid used to charge the 2nd battery). To the 2nd battery I had only my fridge directly connected. The fridge was always on (when in use) and sometimes drained the 2nd battery when the vehicle was stationary to long. I therefore installed a battery charger, directly wired to the 2nd battery, which i would use to charge the battery when the vehicle was standing for long periods at a time.

I would now like to install the BatteryProtect 65 only between my fridge and the 2nd battery, to prevent the battery from being completely drained by the fridge.

Question: Can i leave my alternator (BM Solenoid used to charge the 2nd battery) and battery charger directly connected to the 2nd battery as before? And use them to charge the 2nd battery the same manner as before? ...without having to go throught the Batteryprotect?

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
dutchaussieproductions avatar image
dutchaussieproductions answered ·

I have been doing that for nearly twenty years in different vehicles with AGM auxiliary batteries.

It has always worked without any problems. I hope this helps.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dutchaussieproductions avatar image
dutchaussieproductions answered ·

In addition to my previous reply I need to tell you I use a Battery Isolator between the vehicle battery and the auxiliary battery. My fridge has a low voltage cutout to protect the aux. battery.

2 |3000

alspal avatar image
alspal answered ·

Thank you for your reply. My fridge unfortunately does not have a low voltage cutout. Thats why I am looking at using the Battery protect as cut off switch. I am 99% sure i can simply add the BP between the 2nd battery and fridge and leave the rest as is.

There are so many posts on this forum about how reverse current flow is not possible through BP that I just wanted to be 100% sure before i install it. I dont think in my setup there will ever be reverse current flow. Thats why I posted the question. Thanks.

2 |3000