question

johannes-cronje avatar image
johannes-cronje asked

Frequency shift- Quattro 48/15000

Good day .

Is there a way to determine why the inverter is Frequency Shifting ?

Is it possible to find out were the command comes from ?

I am running 3 x 48/15000 Qauttro , 56KWh Solar MD batteries and Solar Edge 27.5 Grid tie inverter.

The Qauttro's seems to shift the frequency and the solar edge starts throttling. Is there any way to determine what will make the Qauttro's start frequency shift ?

Regards

Johannes Cronje

frequencysolaredge
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Johannes Cronje

It is usually related to battery charging. Frequency shifting in Fronius is related to that and of course load. I have not used Solar Edge but would think the same principle applies.

Which makes the bank sizing on a set up critical - when larger loads drop off the bank needs to sink overshoot production.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

johannes-cronje avatar image
johannes-cronje answered ·

HI @Alexandra .

I do agree with you , it makes sense.

My situation is as follows. The Solar Edge did not start up this morning and my battery was sitting around 60%. Thus there was no reason as far as I understand that the Quattro's was required to shift its frequency. There was Load on it but the Solar Edge refused to start up . I was faultfinding the Solar Edge until I realized my Quattro's were shifting its frequency to 51,3Hz thus my Solar Edge wont ramp up. I disconnected my Can-bus from the batteries and all start working again until the system weren't happy and got disconnected . Connected the can bus and it worked again but the Solar Edge was only producing at around 60% of its capacity. When i went into my Colour control i could see that the Quattro's have shifted its frequency to just below the disconnected value . So I got a bit of production but not full power.

I need to know if there is data that i can extract from the VRM Portal to to know why the Quattro's behave like this , and if its caused for it to react like this by means of the battery communication part or not.

With the disconnection of the can bus from the battery it was the closest i came to eliminate the possible cause .

I hope there is some answers for this

Regards

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Fronius also has the issue with frequency locking.

The first thing to do is recheck settings on both the victron programming, battery settings and solar edge side. Including the power factor settings.

If the batteries are sending a no charge signal it will not ramp up much. You can also check if the solar mds are sending the please charge signal through their logger. their customer support is awesome if you need help with that.

Elimination is the easiest diagnosis method to be honest

0 Likes 0 ·
xylem89 avatar image
xylem89 answered ·

I am having a similar issue. PV inveter works and then about 60% the frequency shifts and reduces PV inveter to 65 watts and won't fire back until the next day .

3 comments
2 |3000

Lawrence avatar image Lawrence commented ·

VE Config settings for the Charging tab are critical for getting the frequency shift to work correctly. I had trouble with a BYD LVL 15.4 battery system when that battery was first released because the Victron instructions for it were slightly wrong. I only picked up the mistake because i have other sites working fine so i compared all the settings and found an inconsistency in the BYD set up instructions, Checked with Victron, they confirmed it, changed the setting and its worked perfect ever since.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 Lawrence commented ·
Could you state what was wrong and what's the correct version?
0 Likes 0 ·
Lawrence avatar image Lawrence seb71 commented ·

Check out the responses to the question below

"Frequency Shift staying high all Night"

It was the absorption voltage in VE Config charger tab that was wrong for the battery that caused the frequency shift to stay high and not ramp as it should.

0 Likes 0 ·
stroller avatar image
stroller answered ·

@Johannes Cronje @Seb71

Hi guys, Have you looked at the following link Re: Frequancy Shifting for Solaredge?

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:gx_solaredge

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic