question

rodd avatar image
rodd asked

Ethernet cable

In a marina with marginal wireless internet connection. Apparently not robust enough to satisfy the Cerbo Gx/Touch 50 requirements for firmware updates or VRM connection as I can't get a connection. Seems like a temporary work around would be an ethernet to USB cable. Can anyone suggest a specific cable. I suspect there are several different types.

2pmTomorrow

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@2pm Tomorrow

It uses the same cable your laptop or pc would use to connect to the modem.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/internet-connectivity.html

screenshot-20210918-070229.jpg

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rodd avatar image
rodd answered ·

I have an ethernet cable but my computer does not have an ethernet port. I do have an MK-3 USB interface device with an ethernet port. Can I use that to connect to the Cerbo?

rodd

1 comment
2 |3000

shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·

MK-3 is not for Ethernet it is for VE.BUS. You will need to buy a USB to ethernet adapter. These are available from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Foldable-Gigabit-Ethernet-Compatible/dp/B00YUU3KC6/ref=sr_1_3

You can also download the firmware to a USB drive and plug it into the GX to do the update.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

An external ethernet access point that you can configure to connect to the marina's Wi-Fi, placed in a better location may help. You could then plug that directly into Cerbo, or into a router and connect Cerbo to the router's Wi-Fi.

2 |3000

rodd avatar image
rodd answered ·

Thanks Kevin. I tried a linksys ac750 (which is a repeater) and the signal out results were only marginally improved. Haven't tried the cable direct to the cerbo option yet. However I believe a more immediate problem may be with the VictronConnect login credentials. Have had a difficult time with those but I may have that ironed out now. Gonna try everything again tomorrow.

2 |3000