question

steven-hingley avatar image
steven-hingley asked

Fronius Solar inverter AC Coupled with Victron

Sorry for the newbie question. I would like to add energy storage to my Fronius solar system. I wanted to gain more knowledge so that I know what to ask for / expect.

I read the AC coupling documents but I'm a little confused about where the Victron fits into my system.

Can the Victron simply be installed on the same solar supply circuit and in parallel with the Fronius inverter, connected to AC-out? Nothing connected to AC-in / AC-out2?

Can I assume Fronius will continue to export to the grid if

1. Batteries are full
  2. PV output capacity exceeds battery charge capacity. (or does the battery need to be sized accordingly?)

There is no need for a CT clamp or energy meter before the main breaker?

1631778337031.png

AC PV Coupling
1631778337031.png (44.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Steven Hingley

It really depends on what you want from the system as to where the fronius is placed. But basically the setup you have now fits right into the victron setup. With a few reprogrammed things.

You can install the fronius before the victron main ac feed in or after the Victron in the ac outgoing feed.

If the fronius is before then the 1:1 rule does not apply. If the fronius is after then you need to size the inverter correctly including the battery bank. And connect the data card to the GX you buy for comms and control.

You dont need the energy meter if you are using ess to control the fronius, but some places require one and some people like the data.

You can set many things if the fronius is fed through the victron (following the 1:1) like the only export if batteries are full option. Some even discharge their batteries to grid.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

steven-hingley avatar image
steven-hingley answered ·

Thanks for the response.

I guess my main motivation to not feed Fronius through Victron is the 1:1 rule itself. My max PV size is 3.15kw, just tipping me over the edge in needing a larger Victron unit. All of the benefits seem pretty cool but I can do without them.

So I'm thinking of a Multplus II 3000 GX in parallel with Fronius Solar on the AC-in?

1632110595123.png

1632110595123.png (69.5 KiB)
2 |3000