question

Bob K avatar image
Bob K asked

BlueSmart Charger IP65 12/15a Case Temperature 160°F. Normal?

My BlueSmart IP65 12/15a charger is set to the lithium setting to charge my LiFePO4 battery bank and it was in Bulk charge mode for a couple hours but dropped into Storage mode long before the batteries were fully charged (87% SOC and only 13.4v on the SmartShunt). I picked up the charger and it is hot! IR thermometer shows 134°F on the front and 160°F on the back. Additionally, I can't connect to it via Bluetooth with either of my two devices. When I unplugged it and plugged it back in, it entered Absorption mode again and started charging at 12a.

20210911-191110.jpg

20210911-192225.jpg

I see that the manual says it'll reduce output up to 140°F; however, I'm over that, and I'm suspicious about heat damage since I can no longer connect via Bluetooth (and could just a few days ago).

victron-charger.jpg

First time that's ever happened and I don't recall it ever getting this hot before. Is this normal or should I be talking to Victron for a warranty replacement?

chargertemperature
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Bob K

Ran mine hard today, hottest it gets is 45°C on the top. Pretty warm. Not seen it much above that on other charges that have been done.

Ambients temps are about 20°C here though currently.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Bob K avatar image
Bob K answered ·

Follow up: I purchased this from Battleborn Batteries, so, in keeping with Victron's "call the people you bought it from" customer service policy, I gave Battleborn a call.

The rep indicated that it's uncommon but not unheard of for the charger to reach those operating temps during hard use. He recommended that I keep an eye on it. He also reminded me that I have several years of warranty left on the charger, so I can get it replaced if it seems to worsen.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic