question

shanti avatar image
shanti asked

Battery Protect with Lithium and 250amp alternator.

I am installing Lithium batteries as a house bank. The alternator I have fitted to the boat is a 250amp. What Victron product will need to be fitted between the alternator and the batteries to reduce the amps and provide a divert to a lead acid to protect the alternator in the event the bms switches off the Lithiums.

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

You could install a number of Orion TR Smart DC/DC controllers in parallel to get the required amperage into the Lithium bank (this IMO would be an expensive option). You could just install a diode splitter (Argo FET); You could install a Cyrix CT.

None of these devices however will protect the alternator from over heating.

With such a large alternator and the risk of large loads suddenly being dumped due to the Lithiums disconnecting I would seriously consider and external alternator controller, such as the Wakespeed 500. This can supply a lot of intelligence with regards to charging lithium batteries. I would install one of these on the alternator, connect the alternator direct to the Lithium house bank and use an Orion TR Smart to charge the starter battery.

You have not shared any details on the battery manufacturer, BMS, so more detailed answer is difficult.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.