question

renz avatar image
renz asked

Hydrogen Sensor

Hi,

We are finalising a large build with 3x 15000W Quattros of 280Kwh of capacity, all AGM. We need a way to have a protection against hydrogen, so we have here 2 sensors and wondering if they can connect direct to CCGX or through Arduino.

Regards,

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
trygvelu avatar image
trygvelu answered ·

I think you will need to provide some further information regarding the hydrogen sensors. What type or interface do these sensors have?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

In case its a high/low signal, you could connect them to a Cerbo (which means replacing the CCGX) since that Cerbo has digital inputs, while the CCGX does not.

then the cerbo can show the state on VRM, and VRM and such can be configured to send an email.

2 |3000

renz avatar image
renz answered ·

We are using those sensors https://www.pakronics.com.au/products/grove-gas-sensor-mq9-ss101020045

Using a Cerbo sounds good however it might be easier to have an arduino converting the signals to USB, however once the signals are out of the arduino, how do we get the Victron software to integrate the values?

2 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

For that you’d have to write your own drivers in the software; usually several weeks of work by an experienced software developer.

https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/howto-add-a-driver-to-Venus

I’d do something else if I were you: buy a gas sensor that outputs 4 to 20mA; and use our GX Tank. Our software will think its a tank, but you can just give it a name and then doesn’t matter what the software thinks

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Ps: hydrogen sensor is nice: but make sure there is ventilation where the batteries are, and so forth.

“Just” a sensor is not enough for a safe design.

0 Likes 0 ·
renz avatar image
renz answered ·

An email would not be adequate, we need the system to literally shut down, so can we use a control relay to be switched off when the hydrogen level is too high?

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi, it sounds like like your making a very safety critical thing (shutdown something when hydrogen levels are too high). I wouldn't do that with a device so complicated as a GX device.

0 Likes 0 ·