question

rgp avatar image
rgp asked

Can my Victron charger overcharge my batteries?

I have a small Victron charger/battery management/inverter (sorry not got a model number at present, as not on the boat) It charges two banks of 2 x 12 volt batteries, 2 engine, 2 domestic on my boat. 24 volt system. Last week my domestic batteries expanded and overheated dangerously and I had to remove them from the boat at once! They are AGM 200 ah batteries a little less than 3 years old.. The engine starter batteries are fine.

I have ordered two more 180 ah batteries (Varta) to replace them. But I am worried it will happen again. Everyone tells me it is probably because of overcharging - but can my reliable Victron charger do that? Is it capable of overcharging? I thought it was automatic and would sense the charge and stop charging. The boat is 10 years old and has been performing pretty well with no charger problem that I know of. Can anyone help?

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

very unlikley that the charger would cause this out of the blue. however its not a one answer fits all.

1. when you have the new batteries installed then check the charge voltage when they are full and make sure it matchs the battery specs, if not adjust it to suit

2. check that the voltage sense connection from the charger is connected to the correct battery

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic