question

eric-s avatar image
eric-s asked

Oversizing the solar panel on small offline installation

Hi,

In order to recharge portable tools, smartphones and other lights in an remote place, I calculated that I need roughly a 50 A.h/12 V battery with a 50 Wc solar panel. But I can get a 100 Wc panel for free. Can I use a 5A PWM Charge Controller with it? Or should I use a 75/10 MPPT? Can I configure the MPPT to limit the charging current to 5 A?

MPPT ControllersBlueSolar PWM
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Vance Mitchell avatar image
Vance Mitchell answered ·

For the PWM controller It would depend on the panel specifications.

If you use the MPPT controller you can set a lower charge current in the settings. With a smartsolar this can be done over Bluetooth, whereas the bluesolar would require a ve.direct to USB/Bluetooth cable.

Over sizing the panel would give you a lot larger timeframe to fully charge your battery and would give better performance on overcast days.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

eric-s avatar image
eric-s answered ·

Of course, if I use a PWM, this is in conjunction with a 12V/36cells solar panel.

My concern is about the price.

PWM Light 12/5 is 25 € ex. Vat (12/10 at 30 €).

SmartSolar MPPT 75/10 is 111 € ex. Vat.

(and VE.Direct Bluetooth Smart dongle itself is at 50 € ex. Vat).

That's why it would be very interesting to be able to use a PWM charger.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual