question

henrikvj avatar image
henrikvj asked

Connecting cerbo GX to wifi internet with captive portal

I have installed a Cerbo GX device in my boat. I would like to connect it to the WiFi in the boat.

I can connect to the WiFi SSID ... but there is an extra layer of security where I have to enter a username and a code ...

How can I get the Cerboi GX device connected ?

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
thatphilbrettguy avatar image
thatphilbrettguy answered ·

I suspect you can't. I can only see support for connections that only need a password. Captive portal login systems for private routers are rare, what is it?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @HenrikVJ

You'll need that passkey. Tis your wifi router, your passkey. If you're lucky, it's printed on a label, maybe on the bottom of the router.

The Cerbo doesn't support WPS, so you can't just press a coupla buttons and have it connect.

True captive portals are a little different, so you'll need to work through that..

1 comment
2 |3000

henrikvj avatar image henrikvj commented ·

So if I connect to a public network ... that after connecting want a username and a password .. then I cannot connect this to the Cerbo GX ?

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @HenrikVJ,

If I correctly understand your issue, I am sorry to say that Cerbo GX (and all other GX devices) do not support captive portal authentication systems.

Captive portals work by opening an internet browser window on the client device, and Cerbo GX does not have a browser app to open.

Is a hardwired Ethernet cable an option instead?

2 |3000