question

brokenlegg avatar image
brokenlegg asked

Battery balancer in parallel

Hi all,

I am wanting to add a battery balancer to my system (I’m getting error codes due to midpoint deviation over 2%).

I have x8 6v 520ah AGM batteries, connected in two 24v strings.

I was wondering if the 1a current that the battery balancer can draw will be enough to balance my bank, and if not, do I simply connect two balancers in parallel?

Thanks,

Ray

battery chargingBMV Battery MonitorAGM Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

The battery voltage is typically out of balance when they are close to fully chargeed - when a relatively small charge current is able to rapidly increase the battery bank voltage to the setpoint.

It should not take much load on the high side to correct/control the imbalance. Most likely 1 battery balancer will have enough capacity and work fine, but 2 units in parallel or 1 per string would also work.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

to add to that, the inbalance will be taken care of during the charge proces , so can be active for many hours. Then the energy of the balancing is quite enough to be able to get/keep the batteries in balance, for two (or a few more strings) mostly one balancer is enough

2 |3000

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron BMV battery monitors product page