question

Dan Blank avatar image
Dan Blank asked

Minimum panel voltage PWM

Hi, I understand there's a minimum PV input voltage for MPPT that's vBatt +5v. Is there a similar minimum for PWM? Specifically BlueSolar PWM Charge Controller (DUO) LCD&USB ? I have a small panel and battery that technically needs a controller, and I'm below the threshold for MPPT.

BlueSolar PWM
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

You'll need 15-28v on the solar input if you're charging a 12vNom bank - the specifications are listed in the user manual here: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-BlueSolar-PWM-DUO-12V-24V-20A-LCD-USB-EN-NL-FR-DE-ES-SE-IT-CZ-RU.pdf

pwm.png

pwm.png (70.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Dan Blank avatar image
Dan Blank answered ·

Thanks. It's not clear whether there's an activation voltage, as is the case for MPPT. I'll assume not?

1 comment
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·
It's safe to say that if your panel voltage is below the minimum voltage listed, it won't work. So, effectively, yes there's an activation voltage - 15v at 12vNom system, or 30v at 24vNom system.
0 Likes 0 ·
eric-s avatar image
eric-s answered ·

With a PWM, you are supposed to connect a "12 V" panel to a 12 V batterie. In fact, a "12 V" panel is supposed to have 36 cells with V(max power) around 18-19 V and V(open circuit) around 22 V. Check the label on the back of the panel for such numbers. Such values will allow your PWM to charge correctly your batterie.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic