question

pafff avatar image
pafff asked

GEL deep cycle - exact configuration of the regulator, once more!

Hello

I have replaced the battery of my off-grid solar installation with a Victron GEL deep cycle 12V 220Ah (holiday home in the mountains, 95% of the year, the regulator is the only consumer). I have also bought a new regulator, a Victron Smartsolar 100/20 MPPT.

I have a few questions about that. They have already been discussed in this forum but I find no conclusive answers.

1. Which exact voltages should I choose for absorption/float/equalization? What is better for the life of the battery? On the data sheet of the battery, each of theses voltages is given as a range. E.g. 14.1 – 14.4V for absorption: should I use 14.1, 14.4 or something in the middle? Or user preset "Gel Victron deep dischage (1)" or "... (2)"?
  2. Until now, I thought that sulfatation was always a problem with lead acid batteries and that equalization acts against it. Should I switch equalization on for this battery and if yes, at which voltage? There is no mention about that in the data sheet of the battery.

Thanks and regards

Patrick

voltageequalisation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
cardy01 avatar image
cardy01 answered ·

For my Victron Gel Deep Discharge I use the pre-loaded battery profile "Gel Victron Deep Discharge (2)" seems to be the correct choice.

No equalization

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic