question

alexben avatar image
alexben asked

How to upgrade from V498

V498 Firmware. “Bricked”, won’t turn on and invert.

Inability to update on IOS.

Labels in the unit are:

CMP 24/2000 2017051845 HQ18248GPYS

2718413.VFD

C242K1CT182220042

There were comments from Guy that a new version of software would allow upgrade of firmware.

If I try this on a Windows machine, will that fix it? A promised upgrade was discussed in 2022.

firmware update
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

I assume you're updating using VictronConnect, through an MK3 to the MultiPlus?

The unit must be powered on to update its firmware, though.

VictronConnect is up-to-date with 510 (as long as you've updated your VictronConnect app), so you shouldn't be having issues as far as that goes, though I've certainly seen varying problems with iOS turning off full power to the USB port and thereby causing issues in the MK3 being able to power on and that sort of thing, but we've been through many many software updates since that comment back in 2022, so there shouldn't be an issue on the software side.

Have you contacted your distributor for technical assistance in the matter?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alexben avatar image alexben commented ·
Thank you for responding.

Mk3-USB? Yes, Fresh download of VictronConnect app? Yes. Tried on IOS and with windows now, since posting. Neither works, same error.

I fear I may have what the Victron instructions refer to as the early “18” version software.

I was able to download the configuration apps to my windows laptop, they would not download to IOS. So I’m ready to try to use those tools. Looking for a concise set of instructions for that route.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

If VictronConnect doesn't work you might need to use the old way with VEflash.
There is a really good chance that it works with that, but you need a Windows system for that.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/updating_firmware:updating_ve.bus_products

1 comment
2 |3000

alexben avatar image alexben commented ·
Thank you for responding. I have set up VictronConnect on a Windows laptop, it didn’t work with same error.

Im worried my software version is not 19+, In the photo I’ve included, can someone decipher that?

The link you included, THANK YOU, shows which versions have the bus, is it possible mine doesn’t? I will try to follow, I thought I’d done those steps, but I will try again.

0 Likes 0 ·
alexben avatar image
alexben answered ·

img-9639.jpegI fear I have a software version not amenable to update

img-9639.jpeg (1.7 MiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
You can update your device all the way up to the current version 510.
0 Likes 0 ·
alexben avatar image
alexben answered ·

Possibly this photo helps.

Maybe it includes serial # that makes it more obvious why I can’t do this with daily via Victrondirectimg-8908.jpeg

img-8908.jpeg (2.2 MiB)
5 comments
2 |3000

alexben avatar image alexben Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Thank you.

It’s because it’s very old, yes? As described here, the “18” precedes ability to use Victrondirect?

Once upgraded to current firmware, will it then still require VEFlash?

Do you know if I need to use Mk2-usb like that 7 year old you tube video suggests? Or will the Mk3 I have suffice.

1 Like 1 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ alexben commented ·

You wrote that your MultiPlus is "bricked" in that case VictronConnect doesn't work and you need to use VEflash.

Read the instructions in the link!

The important number is on the big chip the 2718413.

HQ1824... is the serial number and has nothing to do with that.

After the update via VEflash worked you can start using VictronConnect.

0 Likes 0 ·
alexben avatar image alexben Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

The video you reference is 7 years old, instructs me to use the Mk2-USB to use VEflash. Can I use the Mk3-USB for this purpose, I have that, and it seems to establish communication, but I am not sure it will allow read and write function for my unit. And. Thank you very much for helping me out. It is appreciated.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ alexben commented ·
A MK3 also works.

Just do it, you unit is already "bricked"(as you say) so it can't get worse.

1 Like 1 ·
alexben avatar image
alexben answered ·

Understand better my firmware has to begin with #2718, for my model, and victron is up to 510 for my model.

I was able to upgrade firmware to 2718510img-9658.jpegvia MacOs on VictronConnect.

It still doesn’t turn on and invert.

I can toggle it on from this page. It stays on in the drawing, goes off again on its own in the drawing, and the green light on the unit never lights up.

Is there a fuse to check? Is it because there is no load on the unit for 110V? I’d expect light to go on

img-9658.jpeg (4.3 MiB)
2 |3000