question

Herve RV Nizard avatar image
Herve RV Nizard asked

Easysolar 48-3000 and BSL Batteries error/alarm

easysolar-48-3000-35.jpegbsl-10kwh-powerwall.jpgImage CaptionGood day to all .

I need help with a very strange problem when trying to connect an Easysolar 48/3000/35 with a BSL 48-200PW .

I am a Victron , Pylontech and BSL distributor and installer , so very familiar with Victron / BSL integration . Did many of these .

The funny part is that this one is at my home !

I have an Easysolar 48/3000/35 - 240v (The old one, with the color control and the AC breakers at the bottom - See picture), since a few years . Had 4 batteries AGM 12v/200Ah and they are becoming old . Decided to replace these by one BSL 48-200 Powerwall .

Each time I try to connect the battery to the inverter, the battery goes on alarm mode and shuts down .

Please note :

- I first updated all the firmwares

- The BSL was installed at our lab with a Multiplus II 48-5000

- When I tried to connect and got the alarm , I tried many things .

- I brought a Cerbo and connected to the BSL . Works fine . I can see the BSL on the device list

- I added a MPPT 150/60 with a few panels to check charge . Charging perfectly .

- Today , I connected a separate Multiplus II 48/3000 . All fine and all working well together .

As soon as I try to connect the BSL to my easysolar, ... ALARM

- I first disconnected my color control, and wired it alone to the BSL (After having changed the settings) . All fine and BSL appears as normal on the device list .

I was thinking the problem could come from residual "inside connections/current " from the ancilary elements of the Easysolar , so

- I disconnected the integrated 150/70 and the color control

- I even disconnected the AC IN and AC out wiring

Same problem

I am a bit lost . Hope someone on this forum has already faced a similar situation and may have found the solution !

Thanks in advance .

EasySolar All-in-Onebslbatt
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Herve RV Nizard

What is the alarm?

Did you try power on with a pre charge resistor?

0 Likes 0 ·
6 Answers
Herve RV Nizard answered ·

Good morning Alexandra. No I did not . I will try but it's a 10 kwh lfp battery for a 3 kva inverter.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Yeah unfortunately with a BMS capacity doesn't really mean thing. It is the inrush it allows. Or is capable of.

I am underwhelmed by the precharge of BSL. Surprised you haven't had an issue up to now.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

The powerwall's performance is a bit light in the pants, 100A continuous (check what DCL it is sending) for a 10kWh battery is a bit poor. Their generic BMS is also not the greatest.

So, it is probably freaking out by not precharging the inverter.

1 comment
2 |3000

Herve RV Nizard avatar image Herve RV Nizard commented ·
Well, that's 2 person now, with @Alexandra leading me in the same direction. And as I never had this problem before, it's new to me. I now need to figure out how to pre charge the easysolar ?
0 Likes 0 ·

Humm, interesting. I have installed 8 systems with bsl . Mostly with multiplus II 48/ 5000, 8000, and 10000. Not yet had this problem. But I am interested to learn how do you pre charge them ? And thanks again .

2 comments
2 |3000

We have a precharge resistor in the install kit. Use it for a few brands of battery. So e like the FW eTowers in the instructions say to use one to limit the inrush.

Nick has a trick, he uses the mppts to charge the caps up.

The only brand I know that has a really elegant precharge is BYD. I love it.

1 Like 1 ·
Fideri avatar image Fideri commented ·
@Herve RV Nizard

I used @nickdb's pre-charge trick with BSLs successfully.

1 Like 1 ·

Ok thanks a lot . I now need to understand "nickdb"s" trick haha

2 |3000

@Alexandra @Fideri . IS it simply that you leave the panels connected to the MPPT when connecting the MPPT to the bus bar ? so that would give some power to the inverter before connecting inverter to batteries .

1 comment
2 |3000

I am not a fan. But by switching at the DC disconnect, the panels to the mppt it powers on and precharges the DC bus.

There are a few cautionary items though. If you have made a wiring mistake..... Reverse polarity on the battery, you will have a disaster. And no coverage by warranty.

And you have to make sure the mppt has detected system voltage ok. And do the right settings.

0 Likes 0 ·

A million thanks to @Alexandra and @nickdb and @Fideri . Did the @nickdb trick and all worked perfectly . You are the best. 1000050189.jpg

1000050189.jpg (3.0 MiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources