question

rvnomad avatar image
rvnomad asked

MultiPlus II 3kva 2x120 : configure to not exceed a certain current draw from battery?

I'm looking at a MultiPlus II 3kva 2x120 for my 50-amp RV. Can this be configured to not exceed a certain current draw from the 12V battery bank, e.g. 200 amps?

Full details:

• 50-amp RV with two 120-V split phase legs from shore power. Generator: Onan 5500 single phase.
  • No appliance in the RV is 240V. All are 120V.
  • 2x Battleborn 100AH Lithium batteries (PDF manual) for a total capacity of 200 AH. Yes, this is a little undersized, and I do have plans to increase the size of the bank, but that is another project, so I plan to start with just 200 AH. Battleborn has confirmed to me that a pair of two batteries can provide 200 amps continuously and 400 amps for up to 30 seconds.
  • BMV-702 battery monitor with 500A shunt. This is already installed and works well with the Victron Connect app.
  • I am working with an RV shop with trained technicians. We are looking at a MultiPlus II 3kva 2x120 and wiring it so that the heavy appliances like the ACs, water heater, etc. are on the AC-out-2 output, so that they will be supplied by only shore power, and not the inverter.
  • I do want to power the microwave (1560 watts) from the inverter and some outlets.

My questions:

1) As an additional safety measure in case someone turns on a hair dryer while the microwave is running, can the MultiPlus II be configured to shut down if the current draw from the battery exceeds (say) 200 amps? OR if the MultiPlus is inverting more than 2400 watts.

2) Can the MultiPlus II be configured fully from the Victron Connect app? Or is some kind of VE.Bus connector required?

Thanks in advance for any answers or suggestions!

Multiplus-IILithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@rvnomad

You need an MK3 to usb adaptor to program the inverter.

You can use a contactor and run it from one of the Internal relays with an assistant to load shed a circuit if the load exceeds the amount you are comfortable with from your batteries. (To program this you need a n MK3 to usb adaptor and ve configure though)

The only other way is smart switches and node red.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.