question

rmosier avatar image
rmosier asked

Victron BMV-712 Shunt to Bus Bar to Invertor connections best practice?

Is it better to connect inverter directly to shunt or to bus bar? If so (or not) what cable size? Here is a diagram. I am figuring 1/0 which is 3X the 6 AWG connections at the bus if inverter is connected to shunt? Is this in the ballpark for how to set up? Going from no bus bars with 3 connections on battery #1 neg, battery #2 pos. Inverter is on battery #1 pos and battery #2 neg. (dealer install) Thanks in advance!

Current

dealer-wiring-for-victron.png

Plan

diagram-for-victron-monitor.png

howto
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
chrispi avatar image
chrispi answered ·

Several mistakes:

plan:

Inverter goes directly on negative bus bar. Then negative busbar to shunt input. All 4/0 cable

positive:

inverter->disconnect switch inverter-> fuse -> busbar, inverter must have its own disconnect switch

all connection on positive busbar need a fuse, suggest to use lynx distributor that’s busbar and fuse holder in one.

battery positive terminal -> main cable fuse ->battery disconnect switch-> positive busbar, Cable 4/0.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rmosier avatar image
rmosier answered ·

Thanks! You answered my main question which was inverter to bus bar instead of shunt. Which will change 4/0 between bus bar and shunt. The inverter disconnect and fuse are already in place (i just didn't include on the diagram - sorry). Will match 4/0 to positive bus bar.. I wanted the main disconnect switch so i can stop the parasitic drain while in storage.

Also, still searching for best cable size for battery to battery parallel connections...I get 4 AWG to 4/0 AWG and everything between. Seems there would be a consensus for 2 100Ah Li batteries with a 2000W inverter. ie BB rep said 1/0 another said 4/0 and website said 2/0, others say 4 AWG, dealer said 2AWG...would love to know best practice. Thanks.

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Think of the battery to battery connections in terms of the current they will carry.

For simplicity and safety, use the same guage as the battery to busbar connections.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic