question

new-b avatar image
new-b asked

Integrating Cerbo GX with Balmar MC-618 Regulator

Hello Community, Anyone had any experience connecting and integrating a Balmar 618 Regulator/SmartShunt with a Victron Cerbo GX. Wanting to read NMEA2000 based regulator real time parameters via a GX 50 touch display. Have read the manuals for Balmar SG SmartShunt products. It does mention N2K parameters that will be sent over CANBUS from their SmartShunt, but not seeing any posts or youtube's regarding this. Thank you.

cerbo gx
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matt-hidinger avatar image matt-hidinger commented ·
I've got the Balmar SG-203 SmartShunt which outputs the data to n2k (battery soc, current, etc). I've confirmed this data is on the nmea network as I see it from my Raymarine chartplotter.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like my Cerbo GX is reading it. The Touch 50 doesn't show any SOC or accurate current data on the battery.

My Cerbo is properly connected to the NMEA network because I see my n2k tank level sensors on there properly.

Does anyone know any tricks to make this work for reading the Balmar Shunt PCNs?

1 Like 1 ·
2 Answers
new-b avatar image
new-b answered ·

An update to my post. After conversing with Balmar Tech Support. They are working out some N2K messaging bugs even though their tech sheet for the SG Smart Shunt says it supports N2K data traffic. So for now, passing data from a Balmar SmartShunt over CANBUS to a CerboGX is not going to work. They claimed 4-6 Months from now perhaps it will be fully supported.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Adam Sherman avatar image
Adam Sherman answered ·

Any updates to this situation?

2 |3000