question

dmydlack avatar image
dmydlack asked

Touchscreen Calibration very basic

Hello,

I am running Venus OS on a Pi4 - I can make the GIU display on a standard desktop monitor.

I am attempting to now display instead on a local 7” touchscreen:

(JUN-ELECTRON Portable Monitor with Acrylic Case 7 inch Screen - IPS Capacitive Display 1024x600 - Compatible for Raspberry Pi 4)

The Victron GUI does successfully display on the touchscreen but is I think ‘uncalibrated’ (completely offset) from the touch and is unusable.

The touchscreen manufacturer has instructions on their wiki to add these commands to the config.txt file:

max_usb_current=1

hdmi_force_hotplug=1

config_hdmi_boost=7

hdmi_group=2

hdmi_mode=87

hdmi_drive=1

display_rotate=0

hdmi_cvt 1024 600 60 6 0 0 0

I think I did this correctly (I checked to see that it was saved.)

I have rebooted and tried repeatedly but I have had no change in the Venus OS GUI touch miscalibration.

I have read on the Victron community forum something about 'calibration.' There is mention of using RpiDisplaySetup. I looked it up on Github and there it mentions first installing SetupHelper (also on another Github page.)

So, I'm a bit stuck in that I do not really know how to install SetupHelper so that I can then Install RpiDisplaySetup so I can then attempt to 'calibrate' my touchscreen to my Rpi Venus OS.

If it were a matter of typing commands into the config.txt file I can do that (I've confirmed that I have done that before.)

I bet this is really basic - 'installing SetupHelper and RpiDisplaySetup.

Just need a pointer on how.

Thank you!

touchscreen
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dmydlack avatar image dmydlack commented ·

I have typed in the command:

which ts_calibrate

I get no response from the command line.

(I have successfully disabled the GUI by entering the command:

touch /etc/venus/headless

I can confirm that the Venus GUI no longer displays on the touchscreen. Instead I see the command line interface.)

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
dmydlack avatar image
dmydlack answered ·

IT WORKED!

I successfully calibrated my 7” touchscreen

I turned off the GUI:

touch /etc/venus/headless

I rebooted

I installed opkg update:

Opkg update

I installed:

Opkg install tslib-calibrate

I rebooted

I ran ts calibrate:

ts_calibrate

The touchscreen calibration procedure ran - I pointed to a few crosshair targets.

I rebooted

I turned the GUI back on:

rm /etc/venus/headless

I rebooted

SUCCESS! Touch now calibrated with the GUI.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic