question

jochenku avatar image
jochenku asked

Lynx Shunt - SOC Indication on VRM (no decimals)

I have two questions:

1: No decimals for SOC indicated on VRM with a Lynx Shunt

I'm running two DIY 10 kWh batteries connected via a Lynx Power In and a Lynx Shunt VE.Can. I got used to the VRM portal not indicating any meaningful decimals but only zeros. That means the indicated SOC jumps from eg. 21,0% directly to 22,0%.

A couple of weeks ago I helped a friend to install the DC side of his victron installation using a Smart Shunt. I was surprised to see that the Smart Shunt is able to indicate meaningful decimals.

What is the reason for this different behaviour and can it be changed for the Lynx Shunt?

2. Hysteresis using Battery Life

When using Battery Life and the minimum SOC is reached discharging will automatically end. Only when appr. 3% of SOC have been added discharging will start again.

This hysteresis of 3% seems to be independent of battery capacity. I recently upgraded my battery by adding a second 10 kWh bank.

While last season it was enough to charge appr. 0,2-0,3 kWh into the battery to get above the hysteresis (1% of 10 kWh = 0,1 kWh) now with the doubled capacity the amount of energy required before discharging starts has also doubled to appr. 0,5-0,6 kWh.

During these grey November days my 8 kWp PV struggles to go above 400 W during the morning hours thus reaching an SOC where discharging begins takes too long.

Would it be possible to define the hysteresis independent of battery capacity (eg. 0.25 kWh) or even better make it user definable via an parameter in the ESS menu?

Thank you and best regards,

Jochen

ESSSOClynx shunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
jochenku avatar image
jochenku answered ·

I would kindly like to push this issue again and ask for a short feedback vom the victron staff...

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Graydon avatar image
Graydon answered ·

I agree. The Lynx shunt only shows Integer percentages of SOC. However, if you and look at it from the Victron Connect app, it will show 1 decimal place percent SOC. So the data is already available, just not being shown.

Please push the 1/10 decimal place SOC percent to the VRM app, please.

1 comment
2 |3000

w8dev avatar image w8dev commented ·

It's also missing the ability to remember the SOC on power loss, but the Smart Shunt has this ability.

1 Like 1 ·
jochenku avatar image
jochenku answered ·

Dear Victron team,

today to my surprise and great pleasure I realised that my LynxShunt is now indicating the SOC with decimals!

Appreciate the improvement, thank you and keep up the excellent work.

Best regards, Jochen

2 |3000

Related Resources

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Lynx Shunt VE Can online manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic