question

os2dude avatar image
os2dude asked

SmartShunt IP65 - Where/How to connect.

My SmartShunt will be connected to the NEG bus extension of a Lynx Distributor which will be several feet from the LiFePO4 bank. (107mm² | 4/0 AWG)

To power the SmartShunt, is it OK to connect the red cable to the POS bus of the distributor? Some forums state it needs to go as close to where the charge devices connect (which is the Lynx) but every schematic shows it connected to the battery's POS post. Does it really matter as long as it is the POS side of the same bank that the shunt is connected to?

To use the AUX for bank temperature, do both cables of the sensor NEED to be connected to the shunt? Can I connect the AUX to one (I would guess the NEG wire?) and just cut off the other? (Assuming Shunt power is back at the Lynx.)

Temperature Sensor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Both cables of the sensor must be connected. When using the temperature sensor (being sure that it's the correct temperature sensor with the fused red wire) the temperature sensor should be ideally connected directly to the battery POS terminal, since you're usually wanting to monitor the battery temperature, not your Distributor temperature.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor