question

onrbikes avatar image
onrbikes asked

State of charge not registering

I have a Easy Solar 24/ 3000 / 70, MPPT 150/70.

Its hooked up to 12 x 2v deep cycle flooded lead acid batteries.

500ah.

Question is. Why does my State of Charge l8ne just show 3 dotted lines, thus no number?

I've had the system for a couple of years now .

Thanks

EasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Usually a BMV or smart shunt is needed for SOC calculation.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

onrbikes avatar image
onrbikes answered ·

Excuse my lack of terminology but not familiar with what Cerbo or Venus is.

I have a new Samsung phone with Android and the Victron App. I easily go into "expert mode" but can't see the battery starts of charge.

2 comments
2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·
If you use the app on Android then a SmartShunt or BMV 712 is what you need, SmartShunt can only be read by phone, BMV712 has a display but is more expensive.

Cerbo / Venus device is a monitoring device, no problems if you do not have one.

0 Likes 0 ·
onrbikes avatar image onrbikes pwfarnell commented ·
Many thanks for the terminology update.

I'll get onto a shunt and instal.

Would like to see the battery state.

0 Likes 0 ·
onrbikes avatar image
onrbikes answered ·

Would I need a BMV700 or BMV712 smart?

I'm just looking to see what the battery is sitting at. I've had this for 3 years and never realised this was an option.

I only have a single bank of batteries

Thanks

1 comment
2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·
If you have a Cerbo or other Venus OS device and a phone the cheapest option is a Smartshunt and VE Direct cable as you will not need the separate display. If you need / want the separate display the 712 has lower energy consumption and Bluetooth and does not cost much more than the 702.
0 Likes 0 ·
onrbikes avatar image
onrbikes answered ·

Have received the smart shunt and 2 annoying things disallow me from installing.

1 The interface cable is only 1m long .

The minimum distance required is at least 600m to come out of the unit.

2 The cable needs a male to male cable in order to go into the VE direct port in the back of my inverter. The shunt is female as is the port.

Oh well will have to wait till the cable arrives..

2 |3000