question

redtoad avatar image
redtoad asked

Configure, Rename and Manage multiple MPPTs with one VE.Direct?

Just replaced an old non-Victron MPPT Controllers, and rewired panels, ending up with 2 BlueSolar 100/30 controllers. I also got a VE.Direct Smart Dongle, expecting to plug-&-unplug it between controllers for intermittent use. While my two MPPTs have different Serial numbers, when I rename one of them, to help keep track of what I'm working on, then plug the VE.Direct into the second controller, it appears to have been renamed with the same name. Any change to controller #2 ends up apllying to box #1!

Am I missing a menu option somewhere? How do I rename two controllers to distinguish which device is which? Must I buy a second Smart Dongle, even though I expect to address my controllers one at a time?

MPPT ControllersVE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Both need to be permanently connected, so yes a second dongle

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hello,

Unfortunately, the smaller BlueSolar and SmartSolar MPPTs (without VE.Can) are unable to store the name themselves. Therefore it is stored in the dongle. That is the reason why you see the name move with the dongle. Other settings like battery settings and so on are stored on the MPPT itself, except for VE.Smart networking settings.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000