question

ajpepe72 avatar image
ajpepe72 asked

Which version and ram pi to run Venus

I’m wanting to order a pi to run Venus os. I’ve found plenty of guides but none seem to say what ram requirement the pi needs, pi hut has pi4’s in 1gb and 2gb versions, is it worth getting the 2gb over the 1gb ?

Venus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @Ajpepe72

I'd always go up in ram just in case but imagine it'll depend massively on what you'll be running on it. Reasonable system i imagine 1 is enough but if you're going big and using lots of node red functionality then maybe go up a size.

For comparison Victron list the ram used by their gx devices, see here:

Victron GX product range [Victron Energy]

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

top and /proc/meminfo both indicate about 0.3 GB of RAM is in use with Venus OS standard, and about 0.6 GB with large) running on my 2 GB PI4. I'd probably go for the 2 GB version in case memory needs grow in the future, but if cost is a factor then the 1 GB version should work at least for now.

At one point, Venus OS limited RAM to 1 GB regardless of how much was on board, but that limitation was eliminated at some point.

2 |3000

Related Resources