question

dancing-skeptic avatar image
dancing-skeptic asked

Problems with running two quattros in parrallel with autotransformer

I'm perplexed. Perhaps someone here can help.

I have a completely off-grid system. I've been running a single quattro to an autotransformer to step up the output to split phase 110/220. It works great. I'm adding a second quattro to support additional load. I've rewired the autotransformer and the quattro AC outputs to look exactly like :victwiring.png

I then created a new bus configuration setting it to two phase 180 degree.

When I turn on the breaker on the autotransformer, there is about 1500W that loop between the two legs.

victwiring2.png

This isn't normal, is it?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerAutotransformer
victwiring.png (327.6 KiB)
victwiring2.png (44.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
vicens avatar image
vicens answered ·

Me parece que no tienes que configurarlo como dos fases 180 grados. Tienes que configurarlo como dos inversores en paralelo.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dancing-skeptic answered ·

I'm attempting to utilize the autotransformers balancing. The manual shows this:

capture.png

capture.png (71.6 KiB)
2 |3000

dancing-skeptic answered ·

I sure would love some input. I've rewired to bypass the autotransformer and everything is working as it should. I'd like to be able to utilize the balancing feature of the autotransformer. The above image seems clear. The neutrals from the two AC sources are tied together and the two 120v hot lines are on the ends of the coils. The issue I'm having recurs if I wire it that way.

2 |3000

sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

You says you "have a completely off-grid system" but then show a grid input. Do you get circulating current when the grid is connected or when off-grid? It is possible your incoming grid is not quite balanced. Or the turns ratio of the transformer is a bit out. In which case you might need to trim the output voltages of the two inverters. You will need to check the various voltages under a variety of conditions with a decent voltmeter to track it down.

1 comment
2 |3000

dancing-skeptic avatar image dancing-skeptic commented ·
I have no grid. I was looking at that second diagram as the two AC outs from the two quattros. In the autotransformer, I'm splicing the to neutrals coming from the quattros and wiring the hot lines into the input breaker. The grounds from the incoming ac are also tied and wired to the autotransformers ground.
0 Likes 0 ·
sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

If all the wiring is symmetrical it is a mystery.

Perhaps if you are relying on the internal measurements of the two Quattros to set the output voltage there is a small difference which results in the circulating current. Have you checked them separately with an external voltmeter, ideally a dvm, to see they are exactly the same?

2 |3000