question

ron-h avatar image
ron-h asked

virtual powerplant

Here in the Netherlands is the provider “zonneplan” is coming with a smart algorithm to store energy locally in their nexus home batteries.
https://www.zonneplan.nl/powerplay

They claim big earnings that can’t be explained by just buying and selling power based on the day ahead price.

Basically what they do is creating a "virtual powerplant" so that they can deliver emergency and balance power.
Already from 20MW you are allowed to deliver this (very expensive) power.

VRM would be an ideal base to create a virtual powerplant!

Is Victron planning to do this, are there talks with energy providers to do this?

Ask this because I’m just building a Victron system, maybe the zonneplan nexus battery would be more economic one for me!

storage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
prein avatar image
prein answered ·

The earnings of that battery are not only based on day ahead price, but rather on imbalance price.

It's energy providers or Balance service providers (BSPs) that have to enable this. Victron should only be able to react to a signal from the BSP. Something that can be implemented with node-red already.

So how to get this? Arrange a BSP that is willing to create a VPP with victrons. The victron product is already capable technically..

I expect zonneplan to be able to enable their service on other types of ESS systems, but it will take another year or so. Hopefully other parties will join. It's actually not that difficult.. For businesses it's already available (also with victron systems) through some BSPs (like EDmij for instance). problem is that these BSPs don't have a license to have energy contracts with consumers.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ron-h avatar image
ron-h answered ·

Thanks for the replay!

Exact, the virtual powerplant (build with thousand of home batteries that are central controlled) can provide imbalance power at higher earnings.

I asked them, zonneplan is not going to support other batteries than their own Nexus one or providing some sort of interface to adapt other brands .

Ron

2 |3000

prein avatar image
prein answered ·

No, they don't have current plans. I expect that to come some time when other parties are going to offer similar concepts. They should stay on par or in front of the competition right.. But its true that its more based on competition mechanisms then on current plans.

I am also interested in creating a virtual VPP of course, but I would like a bit more flexibility than zonneplan offers. They should build a big VPP where users can choose to join or not per day or per period of time.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic