question

forgotmyprozac avatar image
forgotmyprozac asked

Multi RS Solar vs EasySolar-II Comparison

Hi there,

I was hoping someone could illustrate the differences between these two units as they look similar in a lot of ways:

Multi RS Solar 48/6000

EasySolar-II 5kVA MPPT 250/100 GX

They are both within a few hundred dollars of each other. Is the Multi RS a much newer product? Why is there such a massive difference in weight? The Multi RS is 11kg and the EasySolar is 38.6kg

It seems like the EasySolar-II has a lot more PV capacity.

They seem to have different AC inputs and outputs. It looks like the Multi RS has x2 AC outputs and x1 AC input, where as the EasySolar-II has x1 AC output and x1 AC input, it's not very clear to me.

Will they both happily take a generator input? The generator has remote start.

I would like the ability to use the VRM portal. Would having either one of these devices remove the need for me to purchase a Cerbo GX?

When considering whether to get discrete components or an all in one system like these, what are the pros and cons? Price? Redundancy? Is there much if any money to be saved buying the components individually?

I plan on using these panels in either a 6s2p configuration OR a 2s4p configuration

x12 Trina Vertex S 415W (TSM-415DE09R.05)

The battery is:

48v PylonTech US5000

Thanks for the help!

EasySolar All-in-One
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

frankmsc68 avatar image frankmsc68 commented ·
The newer RS Solar with two mppt's might have already the newer silicon carbide coolsic mosfets...this would explain the lower weight....worth asking, though.At this point would be interesting to know if they have revamped the whole bus-section and removed the electrolytics and changed them with the newer and more powerful/longlasting film capacitors....This all would improve life and stability,Frank
0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The multi RS Solar has a much higher solar performance, larger inverter/charger, but no GX. The Easysolar has an integrated, but basic GX. The specs are on the product pages at Victronenergy.com.

Given your array size, I'd do a careful comparison, but probably settle on the Multi RS plus Cerbo.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mondeoman avatar image
mondeoman answered ·

The EasySolar-II is based on a low-frequency inverter with toroidal output transformer. That's why it is so heavy, but it might also handle overloads and transients better. It also has a remarkably low idle consumption (18W as per datasheet, 20W as per my measurements for the 5kVA unit).

The EasySolar-II is much more flexible in programming with Assistants and can also export power to the grid if properly configured.

The Multi RS is a high frequency inverter (much lower weight but theoretically not as robust to transient loads).

The existing documentation and knowledge base and community support is much better for the EasySolar. The "demo" mode in Victron's software tools (VE.Configure and VictronConnect) is also better.

The "demo mode" support for Multi RS in VictronConnect seems incomplete.

I don't think the Multi RS can do a self-consumption installation with AC Ignore (for bad grid connections). It looks like ESS is the only way to achieve solar self-consumption with the Multi RS, but that requires a better grid connection.

The EasySolar-II can handle this better with the AC Ignore option because it allows you to disable charging the battery from the grid. I don't think that the Multi RS supports this.

3 comments
2 |3000

Alex Pescaru avatar image Alex Pescaru commented ·

Multi RS also has the AC Ignore.

And with a set of capacitors of total 2800uF at 500V, the DC bus can handle very well transient overloads.

In the end, it's about 350 joules of energy there. More than a 22LR bullet.

0 Likes 0 ·
mondeoman avatar image mondeoman Alex Pescaru commented ·

@Alex Pescaru The AC Ignore in VE.Bus inverters is much more flexible and it allows you to disable charging from the grid to maximize solar self-consumption. You can easily set it up like this:

1. stay off-grid until battery drops below 25%
  2. at 25%, connect to the grid
  3. DO NOT charge the battery from grid, leave room for PV charging the next day
  4. when battery raises above 35% (due to PV charging), switch to off-grid

This is perfect for PV self-consumption in locations with bad grid connection where the ESS assistant is not recommended.

Please show me how to do the same with a Multi RS, specifically (3) and (4).

0 Likes 0 ·
Alex Pescaru avatar image Alex Pescaru mondeoman commented ·
Indeed, the (3) is not there for now.

But it will be according to Victron sayings... It's a new product and when it will mature, I believe that will be more or at least as versatile as it's the other counterparts.

0 Likes 0 ·
frankmsc68 avatar image
frankmsc68 answered ·

3 and 4 might be achieved by going completely off grid,when (if) you can...at least the summer months...I am doing the same(not victron at the moment) manually switching off grid...I'm waiting anxiously for firmware updates/new functions on the RS to switch over to victron!

2 |3000