question

David avatar image
David asked

Setting Passthrough mode on Multiplus

Wondering if there is a direct way to set a Multiplus (specifically an EasyPlus 12/1600/70 in my case) to be in Passthrough mode? I know I can do this by uploading a VE Config File with the Charger function disabled. But using the VE Config method means having a computer on and uploading one file with Charger off, and then backto computer to upload another with Charger on once I have finished with Passthrough. I want to be able to set this mode on and off with the same simplicity that I can set the 4 'standard' modes (Charger only, Inverter only, On & Off). Any ideas?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Wildebus

There is a charge current control assistant for you to look at. You will have to play with the idea a bit. It uses voltage (between 1 and 4v) on an aux input.

So if you can find a way to do that then you can do it through a gx relay or physically pressing a button or something.

If you run ve config with a saved config file for your inverter, you can explore the options for triggering it.

The other way is with DVCC on a GX device. The GX really is the easiest way.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

David avatar image David commented ·
I posted a reply but it seems to not be here :( Just a quick note to say thanks for your reply and I will reply again!
0 Likes 0 ·
chuff avatar image
chuff answered ·

Easy, use a digital multi control; when you turn the potentionmeter all the way to the left, it switches to passthrough mode.and you can also control the multiplus On/off/charger remotely

1 comment
2 |3000

Easy sadly is not the case. I didn't know if you dialled the pot all way to the left it goes to passthrough mode, but if you DID that, you are not able to set the input current limit there (the current limit control there is AC input current, not charging current).

Maybe you can then set the AC input limit via other methods at that time?

1 Like 1 ·
chuff avatar image
chuff answered ·

In my opinion, the passthrough mode corresponds to the closing of the input relay and the current limitation is no longer operational in this case.

3 comments
2 |3000

I would have to say that is not - or at least should not - be the case. Current Limitation could be critical to prevent overcurrent on a supply and not being able to do so could constitute a significant safety issue as well as a usuability issue.

I will give you a case in point for usability..... You have a Motorhome and have plugged into a 6A supply on a French campsite. A key benefit of the Multiplus is being able to set an input current limit and provide Power Assist so you can use the electrics without worrying about tripping the breaker. If Passthrough was enabled by using the pot as you describe and current limiting was disabled by doing so, as soon as you go over 6A, you loose the Shore supply. Power Assist becomes entirely defunct in this scenario, or any scenario where the Shore Current is lower than the multiplus maximum current.

Now what I can tell you is that if you use the VE Config file to disable the charger, then Passthrough is active when the MP switch is in the ON position, Current Limitation can be set and Power Assist operates as required if the load exceeds the input power allowed (so just as you would want, but setting that mode is very awkward in that manner).

I don't know if you are right or not, but to be honest I really hope not as I think that an unsafe solution.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ David commented ·
Not clear to me what you're trying to achieve.

If you're limiting input current, normal behaviour is pass through and charge until AC load exceeds input limit. At this point power assist kicks in and supplies the difference from the batteries.

I.e. pass through is always there.

0 Likes 0 ·
David avatar image David kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Kev, I want to have AC input active without the batteries being charged (that is Passthrough mode). What you are describing will allow batteries to be charged and is NOT passthrough mode. I don't want ANY charge to the battery.
0 Likes 0 ·
nishad avatar image
nishad answered ·

Set Charge Current Control assistant allow one to set the passthru mode.

- Change charge current based on voltage on Aux 1 input.

-Set DC current to 0 when voltage lower than 1v

- Set DC current to max when voltage is higher than 4v

-Disable charger when charge current should be zero

When Aux 1 is closed the Multiplus goes into PassThru mode and goes to normal mode when Aux 1 is open.

I control Aux 1 using a relay on my Venus OS. I have a Multiplus II 3000/ 2x120

1 comment
2 |3000

Handy way to do it. Except the Multiplus 1600 (what is in the EasyPlus 1600) only has one aux control input and that is already in use.
0 Likes 0 ·
pedaaa avatar image
pedaaa answered ·

disconnect the RS485 Gridmeter at Cerbo GX USB port -> multis go into passtru

2 comments
2 |3000

please explain. I have no idea how you would do that.
0 Likes 0 ·
pedaaa avatar image pedaaa David commented ·
just disconnect the USB cable

(if you use a Gridmeter with RS485 to USB cable adapter)

0 Likes 0 ·
tom w avatar image
tom w answered ·

I'm using Node-RED to set my Multiplus to Passthrough whenever the charge/discharge current is too low for a reasonable efficiency. The flag is called "Disable Charge" and is part of the ESS control node.

6 comments
2 |3000

can't see that option in the ESS Control Node on my system. Maybe on a later Version of the OS?
0 Likes 0 ·
tom w avatar image tom w David commented ·
I'm using Venus OS 2.82-large-30 which comes with Node-RED v2.1.4.
0 Likes 0 ·
vojtech-kurka avatar image vojtech-kurka commented ·
This works for me, thank you. But this setting also disables charging from MPPT in my case.

I wanted to switch to passthru in winter, when SoC is under 20%, to wait for solar charge. But I can't use that setting for this scenario.

0 Likes 0 ·
michal-kubina avatar image michal-kubina vojtech-kurka commented ·
Vojtech, were you able to solve the issue? i.e. enable passthrough and MPPT charging?

tx.

0 Likes 0 ·
michal-kubina avatar image michal-kubina michal-kubina commented ·

perhaps for those searching for an answer to this question, this works

0 Likes 0 ·
nishad avatar image
nishad answered ·

With the sustain feature (prioritize solar and wind/limit internal charger to prioritize other energy sources) I am finding passthrough mode less useful.

2 |3000

t0ma81 avatar image
t0ma81 answered ·

I have MultiPlus II, but not Quattro. Does the VictronConnect app not show you options for "Conditional AC"/"AC input control"?

2 |3000