question

vulpes avatar image
vulpes asked

Pros & Cons to EasySolar 12/1600/70-16

Hi All,
I'm designing a new system for my van, and I'm considering the pros of an all-in-one system like the EasySolar against the traditional route of purchasing the components individually. Most people I speak with recommend using individual components instead of all-in-one due to serviceability.

For reference, my van will have 800Ah of battery capacity (4x 200Ah, parallel) and 800W of solar (4x 200W, 2 series 2 parallel) and is designed for my partner and I to be off-grid for 5 days.

What would you choose and why?

EasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Vulpes

Space wise the easy solar is awesome. Ease of install also a plus. I have had one for years with zero problems.

Separate components allow customised setup. A little more expensive overall. More thinking involved as there are lots of little bits and pieces (you know the ones where you say oh ... forgot to get....). Hence some suppliers out 'packages' together. You have to know what you are doing as well. If one component gives uphill, you only loose that part of the system though while the RMA is in progress.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

I have the 24V model in my van. No problems whatsoever. The built in breakers swung it for me.

Based on that got a much bigger Mk II for my electric boat. No breakers, had a problem (my fault), but I was completely dead for over a month while the unit was sent back to the service centre. (during RMA). Couldn't use the generator, couldn't charge from solar. Don't have a separate shore power charger. Only DC available on the batteries and when they were flat...

They're compact reliable units, but the integration has its downsides. One other thing is weight. It's a heavy lump, the 1600 is manageable, just. But its hard work. Separates are lighter, but more of them. Take a look at charge rates, if you're using the system hard, you might need something bigger to keep the batteries charged, more PV as well.

2 |3000